Another Date Night

I bounced to the door in excitement when I heard the knock. Edmund's hands were full of bags and I grabbed the one he was balancing in his arms. He was looking about him with a certain amount of awe when we went to the kitchen. It was early in the day so he could get a feel for the appliances and see what I was missing for him to cook.

"Wow. This is a great kitchen. You have never used it?" He stroked the counters and stared at the appliances in delight. I shrugged.

"Well I've used them... just not properly. I set off the smoke alarms a couple times is all." He laughed with me and started opening cupboards to see what was inside. Sadly, all he found were some various snack foods, one set of dishes, a few random utensils and cleaning supplies. He licked his lips and tried not to look too sad as he smiled at me.

"Let me put the groceries away and I will make a list for us, okay?" He said gently. I nodded. I helped him put the food in the refrigerator carefully. He told me where the different foods should go, like the vegetables go in the crisper drawer to stay fresh longer. I had chocolate bars in the meat drawer that kept it separate so it didn't drip or contaminate other food, so I told him he could move them somewhere else.

He hummed a little to himself as he wrote down a list of essential kitchen items. I liked watching him work at it. His brow lowered as he concentrated on it, making him look stern and serious. His writing was neat on my notepad and his hand fluidly used my ornate Pelikan fountain pen. It was a Souveran, and I had gotten it to sign the contract securing my new life away from my parents.

It seemed fitting that he detailed what I needed to survive with it. I nodded as he explained some of the items on the list, not really caring why he wanted them there but happy to have help. There should have been a course or two on survival training for the individual living alone. It would have been more helpful than Philosophy or History in my case.

"Are you ready to go? We can take my car if you prefer." He ripped the list off the pad. I bit my lip and took it from him when he handed it over.

"Sure, whichever is fine. Are you parked out front?" I asked. He nodded and I grabbed my wallet, keys, cell phone and jacket before following him out the door. I made sure it was locked behind me before showing him out of the building.

"I still can't believe you live here. This place costs a fortune. It's kind of a thrill to be able to go inside for me." He was grinning like a kid that won the lottery and I was staring at his handsome face.

"I'm glad I could fulfill a wish for you. Is... is this you?" I looked with interest at the beat up Golf Rabbit that sat in the guest spot. He nodded with a grimace.

"Yeah I don't take it out much. Usually I use the transit system to get around." He opened the door and I gingerly got in. In sounded loud when he started it up. My eyes must have been as big as saucers. He took me to a large mall and we went into the department store. I usually ordered my things online and had them delivered.

Here they had all sorts of boxes of things to choose from. Edmund filled a cart, asking my opinion now and then on pattern or colour choices. Once he was going to buy a cheaper set just because it was on sale. I saw his longing look at the more expensive one and put it in the cart with a wink. He shook his head at me.

I also made him buy a set of dishes, saying it was so we could eat together. Just because it happened to be the one he couldn't take his eyes off of made no difference. When we were checking out, there was a child next to us holding a small stuffed animal looking thing. He held it out to his mother, who had it scanned and gave it back to him.

"What is that?" I asked him. He seemed confused with what I was pointing to.

"You mean the teddy bear?" He replied. I cocked my head at him. He was watching me carefully for my reply.