Dammit Janet

A/N Still job hunting, so I'm sorry these are taking so long to get out to you... We are winding down to the end of this story, I am sad to say. I will miss my darlings so much... (╥﹏╥)

"I can't do this." I mumbled.

"Yes you can baby. Deep breath." Edmund watched me with steady eyes and held onto my hands. I took in the breath like he said and blew it out slowly.

"Do I look okay?" I frowned down at my gray suit but he tipped my chin back up to look at him.

"You look amazing. Stop worrying. This is just our friend Janet. They are going to approve any questions beforehand at this meeting. If we don't want to answer, we don't have to." He reassured me. I took in his blue suit and carefully brushed hair. He looked his best today, just for me. I couldn't waste his efforts. I took another deep breath and nodded decisively.

"Okay. Let's go." I smiled up at him and he smiled back.

"That's my boy." He replied. I let him lead me out the door with my hand clasped firmly in his. The ride down the elevator was quiet, the walk to the car seemed even more so with the echo of our footsteps in the garage to fill in the silence. He surprised me and led me to the Bugatti. I didn't question it and got in. "Let's remind them who you are, hmm baby?"

"Yes Daddy." I grinned as the car purred to life. Daddy knew when it was best to flaunt our stuff, and I guessed that he wanted to impress the television people so they wouldn't try to take advantage of us. I sat back and enjoyed the ride. Edmund was a very good driver and he didn't get nearly as nervous in traffic as I did.

We pulled in to the visitor's parking at the station and he got out to get my door for me. I smiled and took his hand, refusing to let go as we mad our way inside. Edmund checked us in at the front desk and we were taken up to a meeting room immediately. Janet was waiting with a big smile. Part of me wanted to deck her, but fortunately it was a very small part and I managed to just smile and give her a brief hug.

"Brendan, Edmund, thank you both so much for coming." She gushed. I saw her eyeing up our suits and was sure to flash my fancy watch as I sat in one of the big, comfortable office chairs.

"Not a problem Janet. I must tell you in person how amazing your piece on us was. I read it and really felt like you made a connection. It was my pleasure to allow it to go to publishing." I told her carefully. She grinned a little as my meaning sank in. We both knew where we stood now. I allowed her to be published. I was allowing this interview. I was in control.

"It was a long shot, I know. I am really pleased how it all turned out though. I brought a list of questions that the station put together for you to look over. If there are any you feel uncomfortable with, just strike them out. We will go over the set we will be using so you can see where you walk in, where the cameras will be, and the basic stage directions." She was very patient and friendly, just how I remembered her.

"Sure." I took the papers she handed us and brought out my pen. The first page was alright except for a question about my relationship with my parents. I struck that out and wrote in another one that would satisfy the audience but leave out the details. Edmund grunted and nodded in approval. He pointed out another to strike out, so I did.

"I'm glad you managed to squeeze in time for this interview. My best friend will be conducting the interview; her name is Vivian. We went to the same school for University and when she contacted me about my story I was pretty excited." Janet babbled in the background while we looked over the rest of the sheets. Internally I was rolling my eyes at her. She was a nice woman, but maybe a little celebrity struck at the moment.

"That should do it." I glanced over at Edmund and he nodded. I handed them back to Janet and she grinned. I was ushered out of the meeting room and taken down the hall to another room, where I met Vivian. She was... for lack of a better word, vibrant. Her hair was a striking shade of red and in a precision blunt cut. Her eyes were bright blue and flashed with intelligence.

"I like her." Edmund whispered as the two women chatted and exchanged the question sheet for a guide brochure. We were also handed the brochures, which outlined where to go on the day of the interview at what times. I would have to go to makeup before I went to the set. That would be weird. She showed us down to the floor where the 'magic' happened and I stared around me at all the equipment.

"Will there be an audience?" I asked quietly as I took in the bench seats all along one side of the room. She smiled at my obvious discomfort.

"No. We won't put you through that. The only people there will be crew members from the station. Is that alright?" She tilted her head at the query. I glanced at Edmund and he nodded for us.

"That's fine Ms. Vivian. Do you want to continue with the tour?" He asked politely. She showed us through the back to the waiting area. Then down the hall to the makeup lounge. Up a small stairwell to a coffee room she took us next and we were offered beverages. I was too nervous to trust my hands with a liquid in a cup. I wished at that moment there were acceptable sippy cups for adults.

"I will show you back to the front desk, and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to call me." Vivian offered her business card to Edmund and he took it. I was glad this small ordeal was over with. Now I just had to get through the real thing.

"Hey, thanks again for doing all this for us." Janet squeezed my elbow and offered me a tentative smile. I responded with a real one. I wasn't going to let this whole thing interfere with a friendship. That wasn't my style. I patted her hand as we approached the front desk.

"It is my pleasure Janet. Anything for a friend." I stressed the last word so she knew we were in fact still friends. I wasn't about to invite her over to our house or anything, but I considered her a friendly face in a sea of uncertainty at least. I knew that business and social friendship was important. I could use as many as I could get.

I had one last thought as I left... Dammit Janet, you sure made my life complicated.