Cleaning House

"So, where are your cleaning supplies?" Edmund asked me. I shrugged and pointed to the cupboard. He looked inside to find dishwashing soap, random sponges, some used dusters piled up at the back, and a stack of scouring pads that some lady had said would clean my pots. She was wrong. It just took off the surface charring from my failed attempts.

"Sorry. I wasn't really sure what I should get. Do I need to go buy some more stuff?" I looked guiltily at him as he surveyed the small assortment.

"Not today, I will just borrow some stuff for now. Give me a second." He picked up the receiver of my phone and called Henry, chatted for a few minutes, explained what he needed and then hung up in satisfaction.

"They have everything we need for today?" I was curious. He nodded.

"Yes, your building manager is going to come up with them in a little bit." He explained. I watched him as he tossed out a few things and washed a few in the sink. I didn't know you could wash dusters so I had been buying new ones when they got too dirty.

The doorbell rang and Edmund went to answer it. I overheard the conversation with the old lady and tried not to blush. She was so happy that I had a friend to help me out now. She was so worried for me, with all the delivery food and lack of guests. She was glad I seemed to be settling into the neighbourhood now. I guess she and Henry had been talking about me.

"We have everything now. Would you fill this bucket in the sink?" He passed me a large red bucket and I set it in the sink.

"Uh, hot or cold water?" I hesitated. He grinned at my question.

"In between. Do a warm water that you can put your hand in comfortably." He replied. I nodded and filled the bucket to the top. He came back in from the next room with a pile of clothes and started laughing.

"What?" I asked. Looking at the bucket in confusion. He did say to fill it, right?

"I'm sorry. I keep forgetting you don't know the first thing about this stuff. There is a fill line inside the bucket, see down there? You fill it to that point so you can lift the bucket and move it without spilling your water." He explained and showed me the line on the inside that said max.

"Oh, okay." I watched him bag my stuff to take to the dry cleaners, separate out my other clothes for washing and then he actually put them in my laundry room! He knew what went where, how much soap to use, and he even started the machine. I was in awe. I followed him around the place as he cleaned with the broom and mop he had gotten from the old lady.

"How often do you wear your suits before you get them cleaned, Brendan?" He asked me. I looked over and shrugged.

"Once." I said. He hissed in a breath and shook his head.

"Nope. That has to stop. That is a waste. You can wear them a few times before sending them for cleaning if you haven't spilled on them." He told me. I raised my eyebrows. I had no idea.

"Okay, what do I do with them then?" I watched him as he took his broom underneath the bed and pulled out a huge wad of dust and hair. I crinkled my nose. Eww. I didn't know where that had come from. Was that there the whole time? Scary thought.

"When you get home you take off the jacket and pants, hang them back up in the closet, only put them towards the front of the closet. That way, if you take a suit from the back you know it hasn't been worn in a while, and if you think you may get dirty that day you can take one from the front because it is already slightly used. Make sense?" He was done sweeping around.

"Yes. What do I wear when I get home then?" I watched him soak the mop in the fresh bucket he had prepared and sweep that all over my floors. The water started to turn really murky and I was surprised yet again at all the hidden dirt in my bedroom.