Day After Blues

I groaned in pain as I felt myself coming to in the morning. My head felt heavy, stuffed with cotton balls, and pounded unmercifully all at the same time. My mouth tasted like a sewer smelled and I realised I had gone to bed without brushing my teeth when we got home. I was wearing only a pair of pajama pants, one sock hung precariously to the end of my foot and the other was gone.

"You awake?" Edmund whispered to me. I cringed and tried to nod carefully but aborted half way when it made my head hurt worse. I felt my stomach churn and I tumbled out of bed to rush to the toilet. I heaved over the porcelain and tossed a good amount of last night's fancy dinner into the bowl. After a couple more heaves I sat back against the wall, shaking and sweating.

Edmund came in with a look of sympathy and wet a cloth to wipe my face, neck and hands with. He wrapped a blanket around my shoulders and put a pillow behind my back, telling me to sit for a bit until I felt a little steadier. I nodded and leaned back, trying to breathe as he flushed my shame down the toilet. He had the fan running so the stench would dissipate from the room.

I closed my eyes and didn't even open them when he pushed pills into my mouth and put a cold glass of water to my lips. He pressed the cup into my hands and told me to keep drinking. I sipped at it carefully. It felt good on my abused throat. I pressed it to my feverish face to cool myself down. I got through most of it by the time Edmund came back and he ran his fingers soothingly through my hair.

"Come on baby." He whispered as he lifted me, blanket and all, into his arms to carry from the room. I glanced worried back at the toilet but he was pretty careful not to swing me around on the way to the living room. He set me on the couch and handed me a small bowl of oatmeal. I poked at it with the spoon unhappily. He finally took the spoon away from me and scooped a bit up expectantly.

"Dun wanna." I whined. I leaned against his side and buried my face in his shoulder. He patted my head a little in comfort but whispered back urgently.

"I know baby, but you have to if you want to feel better. Come on now. It is plain and shouldn't upset your tummy too much. Okay? You need to eat something though." He held me gently and I glanced up at him piteously. I opened my mouth and he put the spoon in with a bit of oatmeal on it. I hesitantly chewed on it and delicately swallowed.

It seemed to be settling alright so I opened my mouth again. He blew on the next spoonful and fed it to me gently. It took a long time to get through the bowl, but I was starting to feel somewhat human again when it was done. I was laid on the couch carefully with another glass next to me, this time a sports drink. I closed my eyes and took a nap while Edmund ran his fingers through my hair occasionally and read his paper.

"Wake up sweetheart. You need to drink this. I don't want you getting dehydrated." I blinked my eyes sleepily to see the glass hovering in front of my nose. I carefully took it and sipped at the sports drink inside with my eyes closed. A cold cloth was pressed to my forehead and Edmund's concerned gaze was just off to one side. I finished the drink and handed the glass back, closing my eyes with a wince.

"Thank you Daddy." I whispered.

"Do you still have a headache baby?" He asked a little quieter. I nodded slowly.

"A lil' bit." I admitted. He got up and I heard him grabbing more drugs for me. He held the glass of water and I swallowed another pill before snuggling back into his side on the couch wearily. Feeling sick was the worst. I hated how tired and gross I felt. I knew it was my own fault but I was glad my Daddy was babying me anyways. "M'sorry Daddy." I whispered. He patted my head gently without a word and I fell back asleep.

Next time I woke up, he was gone from the couch and had replaced his body with my teddy. I snuggled into it and smelled cooking from the kitchen. I was pleased that my tummy didn't churn at the smell. In fact, it smelled heavenly. I felt how hungry I was actually getting and rolled myself off the couch to crawl into the kitchen. Edmund rolled his eyes as I climbed into my seat and laid my head on the table wearily.

"Drama queen." He murmured as he put my spoon down across from his and handed me a napkin.

"Nu-uh. I'm your prince." I shot back with a cheeky grin. He tousled my hair and nodded. I watched him go to the stove and ladle the yummy lunch into two bowls. My mouth watered and I lifted my head when he came back with food. He set the plate and bowl in front of me and I couldn't help giggling.

"Bon appetite, baby." He said with a smile. The soup looked absolutely amazing. There was chopped vegetables and big chunks of chicken floating around with the star shaped noodles. He had put goldfish crackers on the side and two floated in the middle of my bowl. I covered my mouth with my hand and looked over at him.

"Oh my god. Daddy... I am never living this down, am I?" I bit my lip and blushed. He shook his head at me with a big smile.

"Nope. Never." I groaned and picked up my spoon. It really was as good as it looked. "Forgetting something?" I looked back up to see his folded hands and hastily put down my spoon.

"Sorry Daddy." I waited for him to finish saying grace and then we ate. I was getting my energy back now, so I sat on his lap in the living room afterwards and he put in the second movie, Finding Dory. I really liked that one too. I liked sitting on Edmund's lap and snuggling even better. I might've been pushing my luck by the end of the day.

"Ready for bed baby?" He asked me after I yawned for the millionth time. I shook my head no. I felt like it was only half a day with all the sleeping I had already done. He sighed and picked me up to take me into the bedroom. I whined a little but didn't really resist.

"Stay with me Daddy? Please? We can... we can play?" I blinked up at him and he shook his head at me. I pouted and huffed.

"No can do baby. You have been sick for most of the day. That means no hanky panky." He replied. I blinked and bit my lip.

"Are you... are you mad at me? Is this punishment?" I asked quietly.

"No baby. You've been punished enough just being sick. You go to sleep and maybe we can play tomorrow if you feel better." He tucked the covers up around me and kissed my forehead tenderly. I hated how he made me feel happy when I wanted to be mad at him. Dang it, this love stuff was confusing. I turned onto my side, wide awake now that he had left the room.

I was never getting drunk again.

A/N those who know... know it well...