Dirty Laundry

Our photo made the tabloids. It was funny and terrible at the same time. The headline was "Billionaire's Son Takes Biker to the Ball." It made me laugh so hard I nearly choked. John watched in amusement from the chair in my office. He had bought me the damn magazine and had presented it to me with flourish at lunch time. He must've had quite the laugh himself, considering he knew what Edmund actually did for a living.

"Does he really look like a biker? I don't see it." I finally murmured as I looked over the picture of the two of us. I supposed that I looked quite a bit more... what was the word? Groomed I guess?

"Brendan, he looks like a damn ruffian compared to you. I can't say I'm completely shocked about it." John was grinning at me and I shrugged a little.

"What can you do? He tried so hard to clean up for the Gala. I suppose you are right though. I find it pretty sexy." I laid the magazine down and bit my lip at the great shot. We had been coming up the red carpet in the main shot and then they had taken one of us kissing in the car after dinner, which was highlighted to the side.

"Who would have thought. Well I will leave it for you to deal with. Good luck buddy." He got up and left the office. I sighed a little and called my boss to inform her of the bad press. She laughed herself silly when I showed her the article. I sat and watched her read it through.

"Oh my god. This is hilarious. Did you actually read the article? I have to say, this is some juicy writing here. Apparently you have been disowned for joining their gang. Oh, and Edmund is their muscle. Goodness, this is such a load of crap." She was wiping tears from the corner of her eye and I shrugged sheepishly. "I will send this over to our lawyers, Brendan. Not to worry, they will take care of everything."

"Thanks. I really appreciate it. Will I need to make a statement or anything?" I asked before I headed back to work.

"Not unless the story gets picked up by others. We will worry about it once we deal with these guys. I will have them call you if they need our side of it." She dismissed me and I closed the door behind me. When I got back to my office, Edmund was waiting outside with a worried look.

"Everything okay baby?" He asked quietly. I nodded and showed him into my office.

"Sure, why's that?" I asked curiously. He scratched his neck nervously.

"The receptionist was a little... off today? She looked at me funny and your buddy John laughed when I dropped off his mail. I feel like people are staring at me." He looked upset and I sat him down.

"The tabloids ran a fake news story about the two of us. It is ridiculous and completely made up, but I guess a few people have already read it. If it is making you uncomfortable, I can call your boss and explain or have the lawyers call over or something? I'm really sorry for the trouble it's causing you." I hugged him and kissed his hair lovingly. I felt him sigh and pull me onto his lap.

"Is that all? That's a relief. It should be okay. My boss knows my family rather well, so I don't think it will be a problem. If you could have the detraction sent around the office though, it might help." He murmured to me. I nodded against him and we took a minute just to comfort each other.

"Guess it is a pain being an almost celebrity." I muttered. I wondered how my family had done it before. I guess we had never been a big story before I left home though. I never even imagined that it would become a story when I took Edmund to the gala with me. I was so used to his looks now I took them as normal and I knew his personality so it was hard for me to see what the reporter had.

I wondered suddenly what if anything my parents were going to say or do in response to the article. I hoped nothing and that it would just blow over. Okay I was gay and now I was out, but it should be old news in a couple days, right?