In-between (1)

*Trunks' POV

With the appeasement of Beerus, my mom's 'overseas' birthday party could now proceed with relative safety; though by now there aren't too many free food left to enjoy. The time has come to turn back ashore and replenish the stocks, but in the meantime some things remained to be told among those who are not preoccupied with repairing the decks and mending any damages incurred during the bouts.

My dad is conversing with Goku about his feelings in 'tasting' the powers of a god no matter how temporarily; Mom seems to be getting even closer with Aunt Saui; and Piccolo is asking Bana of quite a few things; I would not be too surprised if for the next week he'd join my and Goten's training under Piccolo's close watch.

In fact, I think I'm gonna literally embrace him for that; given my cousin's oh-so-carefree views about combat, compared to my rather serious one. I mean, Goku displayed similar traits too (Dad rarely admitted this, but he did), but with Bana--I don't know--something's just... different, and I'm not talking about bloodlines and such trivials.

On top of that, Bana or his mom might know something else about the history of Planet Vegeta, the Saiyans, or even about my paternal grandfather, King Vegeta--things Dad would not talk about so easily. He did blab much, however, about how some intergalactic freak named Frieza spared no one in that planet and just wiped it out; how he, Nappa, Raditz and (he added this reluctantly) Kakarot/Goku were among the survivors to such a horrendous event, etc, etc.

Every time the talks got anywhere close to Aunt Saui's family history, however, my impression is that Dad could not talk about it without some sort of shudder threatening to overcome him. Often he one-sidedly put it off, telling me or Mom just to refer to the person herself. Perhaps that is why they look so close right now...

For my part, I'm still excited about Goten's idea of a three-way spar with my cousin somewhere distant in the near future. It was promised we would go all-out, then I might finally get to know of Bana's unsealed power.

Oh, how I look forward to this!

Beerus and Whis, meanwhile, appeared to have settled down by now. Apart from Buu, these were our most voracious gobblers of the menu, intending to try them all whenever they have the chance while admitting that they had had no experience at all with Earthen cuisines before this encounter.

Thinking of it that way, I guess that's how that purple fox-like figure decided to spare us and our planet... and not because of the freaking 'charisma' of Hercule. Fact was, he nearly doomed such a chance by allowing Buu--whom he admitted to live with after Videl's marriage to Goten's brother--to devour all the puddings.

I--as Gotenks--was so close to being whooped for that too, darn him...

"Yo, Cousin!"

A tap on my shoulder dragged me off my castle-in-the-air.

"...What?" I replied with some irritation, "done talking to others, eh?"

"Odd to find ya sulking like this. You fine?"

"Don't I look so?"

"Oh come on, just throw off that bossy mask. Still shocked about my transformation, are you?"

"Nah, just contemplating."

"Of me?"

"You wish."

Bana snickered. "Getting whooped during Fusion sure ruins the mood, no?"

"Hey!"

"Relax--felt that too. My mom did, said it was part of training; the results you already saw."

"Hold on--your mom hit you?"

"Oh, need I repeat myself? It's not like your mom doesn't."

"Never to me, at least. So that's how far Saiyans could get, huh..."

"Ain't seen nothing yet of her, you prankster. Promised a full fist if I talk back 'bout that Beerus freak; got a mere slap. Now, wouldn't you call that a bargain?"

"Uhh, sure... if you're happy with that."

I flinched. Hit by a Saiyan woman--wouldn't that get right in the pride? I'm pretty sure Dad would not let that pass without at least a quip; but even he trembled while Aunt Saui was doing nothing.

And now such a practice to her own child... Were Mom to do the same to me, to get me to train, I wonder what I might do in response...

Just go on about it?

Strike her back?

Then again, I never really trained with Mom. Yet...

Is that what I would likely get, had Auntie agreed to train me? And everyday, at that?!

Dahh!! Really, really bad idea there, Trunks... Good thing she refused. I'd still take Piccolo, thanks so much for the offer!

But... I had agreed to spar with a boy trained in that way, and he could still grin as if that was quite normal... More, I asked him to go all-out in that spar.

...Guess I felt a chill just now.

If that is also how Goten is raised... I'm doomed!

"Uhh... Bana?"

"Yep?" He looked on to the open sea sprinkled with sunset rays.

"About the spar..."

"Yeah, no worries, I look forward to that too. Would be my chance to beat the gut out of you, no?"

...

...I sincerely hope you're not taking that in a literal sense, Cousin, 'cause indeed you look more than capable for it.

"You know, I... think we ought to count Goten outta this."

He hummed questioningly.

"That would likely disappoint him, and he's your good buddy."

"That's exactly why I'd like to keep him outta danger... if he knows what's good for 'im, that is."

"...Why this change, Trunks? Going to claim all the glory yourself, huh?"

"Well... he's way younger than us, and your going all-out might not be too good for him. He just doesn't know it yet."

"Oh--and so you think you could keep up with me, perhaps? How nice. Been curious how halflings of our race would fare."

...Oh crap.

"Yes, well..."

Duh. No boasts nor brags... Honestly, quiet-type future opponents like these could be very unnerving, 'specially when you saw them train, knew what they could do.

"Fine by me; but you tell Goten. See if he wouldn't show up later anyway. If that's to be the case, well, then I'd just have to take on you both as planned. No loss."

...

...For real, this guy's 'smart mouth' is on a whole different level to mine; and we are not yet in the ring! Gosh, I'm so glad that overall we're on the same side...

***

Seems like Trunks is getting flustered :3
If that is how he sees Bana, would you mind sharing Vegeta's possible viewpoint of his nephew? :D