Chapter 3

After work I went home and hung out in my apartment waiting for Ashton to get home. It was hard to tell when he'd be back. Some days he was back before dark and others it was closer to eleven when he got home. After a little while there was a knock on my door. When I got up to check it ashton was walking over to his door.

"Just letting you know I was home whenever you wanted to start our movie night." He said unlocking his door.

"Is now ok?" I asked leaning against the door frame watching him.

"Sure." He smiled and opened his door walking inside. I returned the smile and closed my door following him into his apartment.

"Did you hear there was another murder?" I asked sitting on his couch.

"Yes I did and don't sound to excited about it." He laughed setting his stuff down on the table.

"I'm not really excited about it, but it's more he's gotten away with it so far." I replied laughing.

"Yes he has." Ashton replied shaking his head. "If anyone ever heard our conversations they'd think we're on the side of the murderer." Ashton laughed.

"Aren't we?" Ashton looked me over to see if I was serious. I kept on my best poker face so he couldn't tell if I was serious or not.

"I guess so." Ashton replied before walking into his room to change clothes. "So are you gonna tell me about the trouble your in." He asked walking out in just a pair of sweatpants.

"I don't know if that's such a good idea Ashton. I know things that could get you in a lot of trouble if you had any idea." I replied following him into the kitchen.

"Look Alexis I can handle my own." He sighed looking at me. "I just want to help you and if you're in trouble and in danger let me protect you."

"Ashton I can't risk the chance of you getting hurt." I said looking to the floor.

"Believe me when I say I can hold my own." Ashton said putting his hand under my chin making me look up at him.

"Ok I'll tell you." I sighed and walked back into the other room and sat on the couch as Ashton followed behind me carrying a bottle and two glasses.

"Here maybe this will calm your nerves a little." Ashton said pouring some alcohol into a glass handing it to me.

"Thanks ash." I smiled and took a little drink of it." So last year I accidentally stumbled upon something I shouldn't have and in order to stay out of trouble and keep my mouth shut they had me join them, and I help them hack into secure networks and get information they need or take money that doesn't belong to them." I mumbled taking another drink from my cup.

"What kind of places do you hack and take money from Alexis?" Ashton asked taking a drink.

"Anywhere they want. I've even hacked the pentagon at one point." I said quietly. I watched as Ashton ran his hand through his hair in thought.

"Do you know who all you work for?" Ashton asked being a lot calmer about this than I thought he would be.

"Not really I only know one but I um know it's a group, it's not just him, but I kind of think he's the man in charge of all of it." I replied looking down to the glass in my hand.

"It'll be ok Alexis I promise. Until we figure things out I want you to stay with me ok? That away I know for sure you're safe." Ashton said resting his hand on mine.

"Ash I'll be ok if I just keep doing what they want." I smiled up at him.

"But you could get hurt or in trouble I'm gonna help get you out of this." He replied smiling.

"Thanks Ash." I smiled and took another drink. He just smiled and took a drink himself. After a bit Ashton ordered us a pizza and found us some movies to watch. We continued filling out glasses every time they became empty and laid on the couch together watching the movie.

As the evening went on the two of us became a little tipsy and conversations began to get deeper and we kept getting closer. As we were watching one of the moving I found myself close enough to Ashton that I could feel his breath on my lips. I wanted to close the little gap between us but I wasn't sure he did and I didn't want to ruin the good thing we had. So quickly I moved away and got up.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom. I'll be right back ok." I smiled at ash and walked into the other room putting water in my hands and running it over my face. As I stood there looking in the mirror I heard Ashton talking to someone on the phone. I couldn't help but wonder who it was, but at the same time I felt a little bit jealous. If he was talking to anyone at this hour it was most likely a girlfriend, but I've never seen a girl here before so maybe he didn't have a girlfriend, but then that led me to wonder more who was he talking to at this hour?

After getting myself together I walked back out to the living room and laid down on the couch. The alcohol in my system was starting to get to me.

"You can stay in my bed if you want to." Ashton said walking back over and crouching down beside me gently moving the hair out of my face.

"I don't want to take your bed." I mumbled holding onto the pillow.

"We slept side by side last night I don't see why tonight's different." He laughed lightly. "Besides I have to do a little work." Ashton picked me up and carried me into his room and tucked me in.

"Sleep well Alexis." He smiled and kissed the top of my head.

"Goodnight Ash." I mumbled snuggled into the blankets and began drifting off to sleep.