CHAPTER III

EMILY'S POV

OCTOBER 8
10:12 a.m

SOMETIME BEFORE noon, there's a knock on the window. I take my time to get there instead of rushing. There's no real need to rush because it's pretty foggy, meaning no sunlight to weaken Jackson.

I open the curtain and then the window, popping the screen out of place to let him in. He's pretty quiet.

"Hey Em."

"Hey. Just one sec, I gotta find my wallet." I scramble through my purse for my wallet. Can't stuff my face with popcorn and Charleston Chews if I don't have my wallet.

"Em, can we talk?"

"Uh oh, about what?" I smile.

"If you had a chance to get out of this wedding with Christos, would you take it?"

"Um, yeah." I laugh, pulling my wallet out from beneath crumpled receipts and loose pieces of gum.

"How badly do you wish a chance like that would present itself?"

"Really badly I guess. Why do you ask?" I put my wallet in an easy to find spot and grab my purse.

He walks up to me and abruptly grabs my face, pulling me into a kiss.

For a moment, the consequences aren't there. I don't feel like there's a responsibility I have to uphold.

My purse slips from my fingers and plops down onto the floor. I cup his face, my fingers gliding across his jaw.

Our lips part but he leans in closer so that his face is close to mine, his breath against my ear.

"You understand that I only do things out of best interest for you, right?" His closeness gives me goosebumps.

Fuck the movie, I've got a bigger priority.

Not only is he a sweetheart, he's sexy as hell.

"Yeah." I feel breathless.

"Then you understand that I would never screw you over yeah? That everything I do is only to help you?"

"Jackson what the hell is going through your head right now?"

"A lot of things. Mostly me wondering if this is a good idea or not."

"If what's a good idea or not?" I squirm slightly as he wraps his arms around my waist.

"Please don't get mad at me." He whispers in my ear.

"About what? Jackson if you don't stop fucking with me-"

He kisses the side of my face next to my ear. Then my jaw. Then my neck. Christos always said to protect my neck against vampires.

He told me that to a vampire, a mortal that hasn't been bitten is fair game. Even if I'm his fiancé, I'm considered available to any vampire that can see I haven't been turned yet. Being turned by a vampire means they've marked you. Claimed you.

Like a dog.

Jackson steadily kisses my neck and he stops in a certain spot. His touch becomes more delicate and I feel the touch of his teeth against my skin. I can feel the points of his fangs scrape my neck.

"Please don't get mad at me." His voice drills into my mind.

His fangs dig into my neck, quickly breaking skin and making me gasp. It almost makes me scream. It feels like I'm being stabbed and getting my blood drawn at the same time, which is basically what is happening.