CHAPTER XXX

LUCIFER'S POV

NOVEMBER 13
11:59 a.m

ADALIA RUSHES back into our room, squealing excitedly. She just left to go answer the door and I'm not sure but it sounded like she was talking to her dad.

"Lucifer look." She holds up a little box.

"What is it?"

"It's my engagement ring." She squeezes it tightly and sits down on the loveseat next to me.

"You bought yourself one?" My face turns red, feeling bad for not getting one myself. In all fairness it's not like there was ever an official proposal.

"No, Father got it for me. I don't even know what it looks like."

She starts to open the ring box but stops herself and jumps up from the couch.

"Here." She extends out her hand to me, giving me the box. "I want you to be the one to put it on me."

"Oh okay." I take the box and stand up, facing her. It's hard to move in this tight suit. We're especially dressed up for the announcement after lunch.

I peek at the ring myself. A pretty ring with a large diamond. I can't say I'd expect Adalia's Dad to get her anything less.

I snap it shut and turn it around so that it's facing her.

"Oh, um, should I do this?" I place a hand on the loveseat to steady myself as I kneel down on one knee.

Adalia covers her mouth with her hands and lets out another squeal, having to turn away from me to recollect herself.

For a moment, she almost seems kinda normal.

I open up the ring box and she squeals once more, having to grab onto my arms to steady herself.

I take the ring out and fumble for a second with the box before setting it on the coffee table next to me.

She holds out her hand to me, her other one clasped over her mouth.

I slip the ring on her finger and before I know it she's pulled me into a hug so tight I literally cannot breathe.

A try to choke out her name but she doesn't hear. She thankfully lets me go and starts admiring the ring on her finger.

"I'm sorry love I'm just so excited." She chirps.

"I-I get it." Once she gets off me I stand up, dusting myself off.

"Well what are we waiting for?" She grabs my hand and we head out into the hall.

After a little while of silence she speaks.

"Now, this is your first event with the royal family so let's go over some quick etiquette." She sighs. "Make sure you're standing up straight, alright? And if someone greets you, make eye contact, shake their hand and smile. Also, no more than three alcoholic drinks. No more than one if it's very strong."

"I'm only nineteen. I can't drink."

She smiles back at me. "Of course you can if you really want. Oh! And don't forget, Christos, Alice, Emily and Jackson will all be family one day and you should treat them as such. Mother and father too."

"Of course." I fiddle with my thumbs. I'm starving. She said we aren't having much for lunch since there will be food later.

"I know you have a problem with this but try and speak clearly and at a good voice level. And no running around. I don't think you'll have a problem being a polite gentleman." She smiles.

We get to lunch and sit down. Emily is here with Jackson, the two of them sitting with Christos and Alice at the other end of the table.

"Adalia, how come everyone sits so far apart?"

She shrugs. "Mother and father always figured that in the future, Christos and I would rather dine by our mates and children than each other."

"You two don't get along very well, do you?"

She scowls. "No, we're not as close as we once were. I became more serious and adamant about the rules meanwhile he had become greedy and jealous."

"Jealous of you?"

She nods. "Christos wants the crown. He wants power. Even being the prince, he knows he'll always be one peg below me. He hates that."

I look across the table and I meet Christos' eyes. He's always given me an off-putting feeling but I've never thought he was a bad person.

Is this why he seems to dislike me so much? Because I'll be king one day instead of him?

The weight sets in. I'll be king one day.

Holy fuck I'll be king one day. I don't know how to be a king.

"A-Adalia?" I pick at my just about empty plate.

"Yes Love?"

"I'm going to b-be king, right?"

She smiles. "Yes sweetheart, you will."

"When will that happen?"

"Whenever mother and father decide to step down and seeing as they rushed me to get a fiancé, I would assume they will turn the throne over to us a little after the wedding. Why?"

I shake. "I d-don't know what I'm doing."

I'll admit, I've liked getting to live here. I was cautious of course and the circumstances are terrifying but in the mortal realm I felt like I had nothing to live for. But here I have a future.

I love getting spoiled. I love Adalia gushing about me. I love the idea of having parents who are alive and care about me. I love the thought of being part of a big happy family like Adalia says we'll all be someday.

I can't imagine being ungrateful and still trying to get away. There's plenty of food and water, a more than suitable roof over my head and a girl that knows not a damn thing about me but still seems to get me.

"Don't worry, I'm sure mother and father will give you a crash course on everything. And even if they don't, I'd be more than happy to." She grins.

"Oh."

A few minutes later, Adalia's parents rise, signaling the end of the meal. The rest of us stand, following suit.

Adalia quickly grabs my hand and we all make our way out, heading outside for the announment.