CHAPTER XXIX

JACKSON'S POV

NOVEMBER 12
8:24 p.m

I KNOCK on Emily's window, leaning against the glass.

She pulls the curtain and pops the screen. "You can come in."

"Brought you some blood." I hold up a plastic cup, securing the lid.

"Thanks." She murmurs, taking it.

"So tomorrow is the royal engagement announcement according to Christos."

"So?"

"So they usually have a small celebration after this type of thing and I was wondering if you'd like to accompany me as my date." I smile.

She chews the straw of her drink. "Why should I?"

"Well for one I'm sure Alice would like you to be there even though you aren't excited about this."

She lowers her head.

"And I'll have a lot more fun if you're there."

She rolls her eyes and chuckles.

"And if that isn't enough to convince you, you can come for the same reason I am: free booze."

"That's the argument you should have led with." She grins.

"So you'll join me?"

"Sure, couldn't hurt."

"Perfect." I wrap my arms around her and hold her close. That is until she wriggles out of my grasp so she can continue her drink.

It's nice to see her adjusting.

"So I actually had another question. Mostly curious. So I get that you're going to finish off this school year here before going to law school in Giana, but are you going to live here the whole year?" I motion to the room.

"That was kinda the plan." She shrugs. "Stay here, finish up school, ride around in my badass car."

I chuckle. "Yeah but you could live in the realm and come here to your campus when needed."

She glares over at me from her desk.

"It gets really annoying for you to constantly try and push all this on me."

"Sorry, sorry. I meant that well, you seem kinda lonely here. With Alice gone and your dad so busy. And I of course can't be around all the time."

She lowers her head and drinks from her straw.

"I guess it's kinda empty here but I mean that's not necessarily a bad thing."

I walk up behind her and play with her hair. Stubborn as usual but I suppose I'm used to this. Most people I'm close to are like this.

"Alright well I'm going to bed." She tosses her empty cup in the trash. "That's your cue to leave." She gives me a quick hug and starts towards her bed.

I head towards the window but stop and watch her get snuggled up in bed. I think about stopping myself but instead I lie down next to her and spoon her, wrapping my arm around her waist.

"Perhaps I could spend the night with you?" I run my hand over her face. "Keep you company?"

I expect immediate refusal but instead she laughs. "Sure Jackson."