CHAPTER XLIX

EMILY'S POV

NOVEMBER 22
7:47 a.m

WHAT A sap. Natalia was right. Crying really does make the Reed men bend over backwards.

Which is why I've decided that besides Alice, she's my best friend.

In fact I'm actually really excited as the coach pulls up to the Reed manor. And Jackson couldn't be more overjoyed to see a smile on my face.

He steps out first, helping me out.

"You look happy." He grins, leading me to the door.

I shrug. "I might be warming up to this place."

His smile widens as we step inside.

Three tall dogs run up, panting excitedly.

"I didn't know you had dogs." I kneel down, eager for something to make this realm less scary.

"Yeah, they're my mother's purebred show dogs. She love em to death." He pets one of their heads.

"What's their names?" I rub one of their faces like I've known this dog my whole life.

"Ansel, Monsé and the cheeky one you're petting is Sandy."

"I might have to steal them." I joke.

Sandy sniffs my hand and clasps her mouth over my hand. I don't think anything of it until she bites down.

I wince and snatch my hand back. Two bite marks.

"For Christ's sake, does this dog have fangs?"

"Course. Mother could never have a normal dog. She wouldn't be able to bear seeing em die."

Sandy smiles up at me, looking too cute for a creature that just drank my blood.

"Oh, but I don't look too cute?" Jackson wraps an arm around me.

"Better stay out of my head you nosy-"

"Emily!"

We both snap our heads up and see Natalia at the top of the stairs.

She runs down the steps and pulls me into a tight hug.

"It's so nice to see you again. I've desperately needed some company." She grins.

"Xander busy?" Jackson rubs the dog he pointed out as Ansel.

"As ever." She frowns. "And the twins have been awfully bratty today. Jackson, do you think you could babysit your nephews for me?"

"No." He scowls.

"Please. Just for today."

I glance over at Jackson as he fixes his mouth to say no again.

"You should Jackson. It'd be really sweet of you." I lean my head on his shoulder.

"Fine." He caves.

"Thank you little brother. You're a saint." She smiles and grabs me by the hand, dragging me off.

"Must be nice to get a break from the kids, huh?" We walk into a small parlor.

"They're actually not that hectic today, I just wanted some time to talk with you about something I'm really worried about." Her smile fades.

"Well, What is it?" I sit down.

"Jackson told us that things are looking good right now for Christos. That he might even end up being king after all." She sits down, looking nauseous.

"Yeah, that kinda worries me too."

She wipes her hands on her dress. "I'm more so worried about what will happen if Adalia is crowned queen in the end."

"Why?"

"Christos has gotten so close to being heir that if Adalia remains the heir and is crowned, I'm worried about what he might do."

"What might be do?"

She glances back at the door. "You can't tell anyone I told you this. Not a single soul. Especially not Jackson."

"Alright."

She glances at the door again. "King Vincent was not the heir to the throne originally. His older brother was."

"What happened to his older brother?"

"Was found in his bedroom with a stake through his heart." She mutters, glancing back at the door. "He went to court for it but got off clean. All hell would break loose if anyone found out he staked his brother in cold blood."

"And he did that so he would be king instead."

She nods. "His older brother, Gerald, was very similar to that of Adalia. Cold and ruthless. Vincent thought he was doing what's best. Just as charming as Christos."

"How do you know all this?"

"How do you think Vincent was able to cover up murder? He got a ring from the Reed family to create a false alibi for himself. Back then wearing charmed jewels was extremely sketchy, no one would have thought the prince to be wearing one. He's the one who insists the royal family always wear charmed jewelry to keep their private lives private."

"Xander must've told you all this, yeah?"

She nods. "And now I'm scared history is going to repeat itself. If Adalia is deemed heir, god knows what Christos would do."

"He wouldn't stake her. He and Adalia have a strained relationship but murder? No way."

"I hope you're right. When Gerald was killed, he was unwed. Too independent to care about finding his mate. But Adalia has Lucifer meaning if Christos did try something, he'd have to kill them both."

"Great, now I'm worried about this."

"I'm sorry." She motions for me to lower my voice. "But I know you're inside the palace a lot and I thought maybe if you knew this ahead of time, you could spot any warning signs of anything. The rest of the Reeds would never step in if they thought Christos was planning something because they want him to be king."

I sigh and lean into the arm chair I'm in.

"Well anyways, how's your day?" She chuckles nervously.

"Peachy."

"You wanna come out into the garden and play with the dogs? It's a lot of fun." She smiles uneasily.

"Hell yes." I push myself up and we walk out to find the three dogs.

Natalia leashes them up, handing one of the leashes to me.

"So how's things with Jackson? He's a sweetheart isn't he?"

"He's something." I mumble. "He came and dragged me out of a party like he's my mom."

She chuckles. "Yeah he's pretty protective."

"Yeah. I have to thank you though, that crying tip. Works like a charm."

"Every time." She grins, taking the leashes off as we step outside. "Though I was hesitant if Jackson would soften as much as Xander does. I love Xander to death but he's too sweet sometimes."

"Wanna say I love Jackson to death but he gets on my nerves."

"Sometimes these guys are cuter when they're frustrating." She smiles and snaps a stick off to play fetch with the dogs.