CHAPTER XLIV

ALICE'S POV

NOVEMBER 19
7:07 p.m

AFTER RECEPTION

CHRISTOS CARRIES me up over the threshold in fitting bridal style manner. He carries me all the way up the grand staircase, making me smile.

"Was today as fun for you as it was for me, love?"

I nod, pressing my face against his chest.

He's so warm. I never would have expected a vampire to be so warm to the touch.

"Open the door for me?" He motions to the doorknob that he can't twist with me in his arms.

I twist the knob and push the door open. The room is dark besides candles lighting the room dimly.

I start laughing so hard I start to choke.

"What's so funny?" Christos kicks the door closed behind him. He locks it carefully, as not to drop me.

"Candles And rose petals?" I snicker. "I didn't think you could get any cheesier."

"This was not my doing." He smiles. "Fire hazard if you ask me. But the servants usually set this up for weddings and valentines."

"Cute."

"Yes, well they're not very subtle." He chuckles at his own little joke.

"Well that was probably the wildest day of my life. Probably. This vampire stuff has been wild in general." I sigh as he sets me down on the edge of the bed and sits down next to me. "Kinda sucks that the day is already over."

"It's not over yet." He cups my chin, drawing me in closer.

"What do you mean?"

"Well we have to consummate the wedding of course." He smiles.

"Oh."

God I'm so slow. I must have been half asleep all the times he talked about this because I only remember it vaguely.

"The staff didn't set up candles and rose petals for us to curl up on the couch and drink some tea." He stands turning his attention to a record player, trying to find a good record to put on.

"That actually doesn't sound too bad." I laugh, hugging my knees to my chest. I've always been kinda insecure about other people seeing my body.

He puts on a record with slow instrumental and turns to me questioning, as if to ask for my approval.

I nod. "Yeah that's fine."

He walks back over. "You look nervous."

I smile. "Of course I'm nervous. Aren't you?"

"Painfully nervous." He grins. "Though I'm hoping we can turn this into a fun thing rather than an awkward, serious, weird thing." He sits back down.

"It's still going to be awkward." I keep smiling so he knows I'm joking and doesn't worry too much. I'm as excited as I am nervous.

He slowly inches his suit jacket off, looking to me for any sign he should stop or continue.

He reaches over and puts a hand on my thigh. "Is this okay?"

His other hand wraps around my back, unlacing the back of my dress.

"Yeah, yeah. That's fine." I swallow hard. God the anticipation. It's killing me.

I move closer and kiss him, hoping to speed this up. I'm not trying to rush through this, I'm just so anxious.

He grabs me by the forearms and pulls me on top of him as he leans back onto his back.

After a moment, he pulls shut the curtains of the canopy bed and rolls us over to the middle of the bed.
                         __________

NOVEMBER 20
8:29 a.m

I wake up late the next morning. I expect Christos to still be holding me like he was when we fell asleep, but instead I'm in our bed, alone.

I pull the canopy curtains back, looking around at the empty floor. A servant must have been here already to clean up because we went to sleep with our clothes all over the floor.

I throw on some underwear and find my robe at the end of our bed on the small bench.

The robe is neatly folded with a piece of paper on top.

I grab both, putting the robe on as I sit down on the bench.

I look over what looks like a note.

My Darling Alice,
   I'm sorry I cannot be with you this morning. Rude, I know, this being the first day of our honeymoon. Promise I will make it up to you.
   Please do ask a servant to bring you breakfast and stay here until I get back. There's a bouquet of flowers from yesterday on the dresser, I figured you'd like one since Emily has the one you carried.
    I'll be back soon, love you. XOXO
                                                ~Your Husband

I set the note down on his desk and call out into the hallway for a servant.

I sit on the loveseat, the bed still a rose petal filled mess.

They bring me a tray of food and strip the bed to wash the sheets as they do every morning.

As I eat, I think back to his note. Last night it didn't feel like we were a married couple but today it does.

I finish up and look around the room in search of anything interesting. Back at home when I was bored I'd go through social media and watch Netflix for hours.

I look through some of the other records Christos has. I used to listen to vinyls with Dad all the time. However Christos has a lot more classical music in comparison to dads rock music.

A servant walks in with a basket full of our sheets and she starts making the bed as the door open and closes. Christos.

I get up and walk towards him, too eager to contain myself.

"Morning, my love." He kisses me.

"Morning." I smile, excited to see how things will be different now. "Where were you?"

"Jackson was helping me with something." He gingerly grabs my face. "Any toothaches?"

"No." I run my hand up and down his arm. "What were you helping Jackson with?"

He shrugs, seeming more interested in my teeth. "We're suspicious of Adalia at the moment. Think we might have found something interesting. Mother and father will look into it later."

I nod, running my tongue over my top row of teeth. Christos said my canines should naturally come out, like baby teeth almost. He said it shouldn't be painful at all, that is until the fangs start growing in.

The way he explained it, my teeth will probably fall out tomorrow or the day after.

A guard opens to door, making me pull my robe tighter.

"Master Christos, the king and queen have requested to see you." He speaks, standing tall.

"Already?" Christos mumbles to himself. He looks over at me, looking horribly sorry.

I start to tell him it's fine but he turns back to the guard before I can say anything.

"Tell them I'll be a moment." He says quickly, bringing his attention back to me. "How quickly do you think you can get ready?"

"Fifteen minutes if someone else does my hair and makeup." I smile.

"Perfect." He kisses my forehead. "I'll run you a bath."