CHAPTER XXIII

LUCIFER'S POV

NOVEMBER 3
6:02 p.m

THE OTHER mortal is back. Alice is her name from what I've heard. Christos' girlfriend. And her sister, Emily.

They seem to have no problem getting in and out of the castle.

After dinner, I work up the nerve to speak to Adalia. "A-Adalia, you don't mind if I g-go mingle a bit, do you?"

She smiles wide. "Not at all. Do you know how to get back to our room from here?"

I nod, trying to run through the path in my mind. I don't even know how long I've been here. The days are bleeding into each other.

"Alright, have fun." She plants a small kiss on my cheek and leaves the room.

I hurry to the other end of the room and catch them all before they leave. It's only Christos, Alice and Emily. I don't know where that other guy is.

"H-hey." I force a smile as best I can.

"Hello Lucifer." Christos purses his lips. I know he's not a fan of me.

Emily waves and Alice offers a warm smile.

"Guys, this is Lucifer, Adalia's fiancé." Christos motions to me. He whispers something to Alice which makes her turn to me with a sympathetic smile.

I know Adalia is jealous of how close Christos is with Alice. She told me once that she wishes we were that close.

I told her I'd try.

She keeps telling me that she loves me. That she loves having me around. I'm not used to having someone tell me that.

And I love it.

I'm not used to having siblings either, so I don't know how I'm supposed to act with Christos.

"Well, We should get going." Christos grabs Alice's hand and they leave. Emily stays.

"Adalia's fiancé, huh?" She raises an eyebrow.

"Uh, yeah." I smile.

"I wish you the best of luck."

"W-why?"

"Everyone in this castle knows what a heinous bitch she is." She crosses her arms, shrugging.

I lower my head. I can't help but feel like she's judging me too.

"Don't worry though. You're not alone. Christos is trying to rush Alice into a wedding too. Won't be much longer before my mate is making wedding plans." She sighs.

"But why do we have to do this?"

She shrugs. "Destiny. Fate. Lack of restraining orders in this realm."

I see the bite on her neck and instinctively rub mine.

"Did it hurt? The bite?"

"Huh?" She notices my hand skimming my neck. "Oh. I mean, yeah but looking back at it now, it was over fairly quickly."

The door opens and Jackson walks in. "There you are Em."

"Hey." She grimaces slightly as he kisses her face.

"I have a surprise for you." He smiles.

"Okay, starters, what about the crash?"

"That's part of the surprise." He can't stop a grin from spreading across his face.

She sighs and turns to me. "I'll see you later Lucifer. Don't get murdered."

She and Jackson walk out.

Adalia would hurt me, would she?
__________

I make my way back to our room, opening the door and seeing Adalia hunched over papers on her desk.

She looks up when she sees me, smiling.

"Lucifer, Love, can you do me a favor please?"

"Sure."

"I'm busy doing some paperwork, can you fetch a servant and get me another goblet of blood? I'm parched."

"Um, okay." I shiver. It makes me queasy to think of her drinking blood.

I've actually manage to picture us in a happy relationship until I always remember she's a murderer.

I walk out into the hallway and look around for a servant. Most of them are pretty nice to me.

I find one dusting a painting and hurry up to them.

"Hi, excuse me-"

She jumps to alert. "Master Lucifer, Hello. Good evening."

"You don't have to call me that." I murmur.

"Well of course I do, you're part of the royal family." She smiles. "And besides, it's our pleasure to address you formally."

"'Our'?"

"Yes, all the castle staff appreciate you very much." She bounces on her heels.

"Why?" I'm not even sure if I heard her right.

"Lady Adalia, with all due respect, is quite malicious at times. But she's been so happy with you around. So nice."

I've heard all the things people say about Adalia but I've always assumed they were exaggerated because as long as I've known her, she's been nothing but sweet.

But I never assumed that she was acting so sweet because of me.

"Anyways, um, Adalia wanted a goblet of blood."

"Oh, of course." She hurries down the hall so fast I can't even see her.

She returns as quickly as she left with a goblet of blood in hand. She hands it to me with a smile.

"Best of luck to you Master Lucifer."

She goes back to dusting without another word.

I slowly walk back to our room and walk up to her desk, holding my breath so I don't have to smell it.

She turns to me with a smile. "Thank you love. You're the best."

If there's one thing I like about being with Adalia, it's that she always knows what to say to raise my confidence.

And although I argue against it, I really like going to sessions with the royal advisor.

I wouldn't mind living here at all if it wasn't for the inevitable fact that Adalia wants to sink her teeth into me.

Sometimes I like to imagine she's normal.

I'm sure that would upset her if she found out.

She starts to drink from the goblet and I tell myself it's just water.

I mean, to her it's like water.

"Love, I'm so sorry so be bothersome, but could you draw me a bubble bath? Please?"

I shrug and oblige, going into the private bathroom connected to our room and turning on the water.

I pour the bubble bath in and stare as bubbles topple over the water.

I get so mesmerized with it I almost let the tub overflow.

Adalia says it's fine. She says it's good to enjoy the simplest things in life.