CHAPTER XXXII

CHRISTOS' POV

NOVEMBER 13
1:53 p.m

SIX DAYS UNTIL THE WEDDING

LUCIFER ISN'T the best conversationalist, but luckily I am.

I told Alice I can't make any promises when it comes to mending things with Adalia, but I want her to at least see that I'm trying.

And what better way to beat around the bush than to talk to Lucifer first instead of Adalia?

I scan the room, hoping Alice will see me, but she's no where in sight.

Lucifer leans against the table we stand by, silent. Most of our conversation has been him responding to me.

I start to ask a random question but he interrupts me.

"Is Adalia as bad as people say she is?" He murmurs.

"Why do you ask?"

"I've heard a lot of rumors, especially tonight. That she's a hellish demon. People warning me that I shouldn't make her mad."

I look up at the ceiling, not sure how to respond to him. The rumors aren't wrong. They're hardly rumors, everyone knows how heartless Adalia is. But even if Adalia and I aren't as close as we once were, I still want her fiancé to treat her right.

"Adalia is a very passionate, sweet person once you get to know her. She can be cold at times, but no ones perfect. She'd never hurt you if that's what you're worried about. She will love you unconditionally no matter what the hell you do."

He presses his lips into a thin line and stares at the floor.

"And you should do the same for her, you know that, don't you?" I add. "Vampires wait a long time to find their mates, so it's heartbreaking when it isn't how you imagine."

"What did Adalia imagine?" He glances off in another direction, clearly embarrassed at the idea of being a let down.

"Well all vampires that have mortal mates like us assume we will have a relationship like our parents, who are both born vampires. That's never the case though, as any sane mortal never takes the whole vampire thing well."

"Yeah." Lucifer mumbles.

"But don't worry, most people in your situation adjust quickly. You'll become very familiar with things, especially after the wedding."

"What are weddings like here?"

"They're like most traditional weddings." I shrug. "And in the case of a wedding between a mortal and a vampire, there is the added part of the ceremony for the turning."

"Right." He reaches up and rubs the side of his neck.

"Is that why you're scared?"

He nods, not moving his hand.

"I wouldn't mind all this if it wasn't for the whole wanting to drink my blood thing. I'm really squeamish when it comes to that kind of thing."

"So how did you and Adalia even meet?"

"Um..." He finally looks up and his eyes scan the room.

He's looking for Adalia.

Why does he need Adalia to come save this conversation?

As if on cue, both Adalia and Alice walk in through the door, catching Lucifer's eye as well.

Adalia doesn't start this way, much to Lucifer's dismay, but Alice does.