CHAPTER XXIV

JACKSON'S POV

NOVEMBER 3
6:18 p.m

I COVER Emily's eyes as I lead her to the street. She laughs and tries to guess what the surprise is.

We stop at the curb and I excitedly remove my hands from her eyes.

She gasps when she sees the newer model of her previous car parked on the curb next to us.

"Surprise." I grin, handing her the keys.

"Jackson you- I- you didn't have to-"

"Actually I can't take all the credit." I sigh.

"What do you mean?" She turns to me excitedly, the keys jingling in her hands.

I haven't seen her look at me this happily in a while.

"My parents helped get it as well as contain the whole accident incident."

"Why do you say that like it's a bad thing?" She raises an eyebrow.

"They promised the car was yours if you joined the Reed family for breakfast in the morning."

"Oh. Well I mean," she glances at the car and the keys in her hands, "that doesn't sound too bad."

"Of course it doesn't. Because you assume they're normal." I fake a smile.

"News flash, vampires aren't normal."

"Yeah, yeah."

"Well, thank you for getting all this out of the way so I can go home now. Tell your parents I said thank you." She kisses my cheek. "And you can come pick me up tomorrow for breakfast."

I can't contain a smile. "Okay. Drive safe."

She glares at me with a playful smile, getting onto the drivers side and starting the car up, driving away.
____________

NOVEMBER 4
7:34 a.m

I ride with Emily in the car on our way to the realm. I don't distract her this time and we just listen to the radio.

"So why are your parents so anxious to meet me?" She pulls over in the street near the abandoned house.

"I mean, you'll be their daughter one day." I shrug.

"In law." She scoffs.

"Family is family to vampires, regardless."

"How sweet." She rolls her eyes, putting her keys in her purse. I had a dress made for her last night for her to wear.

She complained the whole time she was putting it on.

We get out of the car and walk inside, stepping backwards into the mirror.

I wave to the bartender and we exit out onto the street.

Once we get to the manor, I knock on the door and it's answered by a servant.

"Master Jackson, lady Emily, good morning." They bow to us.

I walk Emily inside and peek into the dining room.

"Alright, just act like you're super excited to be here, okay?" I sigh.

"I am a little excited." She smiles.

God that smile.

I open the door and every head in the room turns. I can tell this wasn't what Emily was expecting.

She was expecting a large table with barely any people like at the palace. Instead the table is decked with people.

We sit down at the remaining seats at the table. The chair next to me has always been empty until now.

"Well good morning Emily. I'm so glad you could join us." Mother beams.

"Thank you for inviting me. And for the car. I really appreciate it."

She doesn't look uncomfortable here. It makes me smile how steady her voice is as she talks.

"Was our pleasure Emily. You are family after all." Father drinks from his glass.

Emily looks up and just about every eye in the room is on her.

"So Emily," Mother clears the silence, "Jackson told as how you want to be a lawyer."

"Um, yeah."

"Well I sure hope Jackson told you about our offer, yes?" Father folds his hands on the table.

And it landed us in a car crash.

"Yeah, and I'm really flattered, but my parents spent so much to pay for my tuition, I wouldn't want that to go to waste." Emily drinks the blood, trying not to grimace too much.

Mother and father exchange a look. How much are they willing to go to make me happy?

"We would love to reimburse the money spent on your previous education but I'm afraid that's awfully costly, even for us." Father says.

"Yes, we would have to pay to make up for your old tuition and pay your new one. I'm afraid that's just so much money and we have to keep the business running of course." Mother looks guilty.

"Business?"

"Jackson, have you not told her about the family business?" Xander pipes up.

"It- never came up." I mumble.

"What is it?" Emily looks over at me.

I don't get to answer before mother does.

"We run a lovely jewelry empire. The best in the realm. You know we made the wedding rings for the king and queen."

"Oh wow." Emily cuts her food. "Jackson how come you never told me about this?"

"It never came up." I repeat with a shrug.

"But Emily, as much as we wish we could have you transfer your studies here, we're afraid that will have to wait." Father steers us back on topic.

"Perhaps you could finish your regular college studies and then we could pay to send you to law school." Mother adds.

Father nods in agreement. "Yes and that's probably for the best. The laws around here are different from the laws you grew up with. It would be pointless attending law school in that realm."

"And besides, you said you two aren't planning on getting married anytime soon, right Jackson?"

All my siblings turn to look at me like I'm a madman. Even the ones without their mates.

A vampire who doesn't immediately want to marry their mate must be out of their mind.

"Wait, so you turned her and the two of you aren't married? That's against wedding tradition." Penelope leans back in her seat. Her husband obediently nods in agreement.

God please help me restrain myself from snapping at this bitch.

"Well at least Emily won't have to dread the wedding because of that tradition." I mutter.

Most mortal mates become terrified of wedding ceremonies because it's when they get turned traditionally. I didn't have any other choice.

"Jackson makes a very good point." Xander adds. "Emily will be much more comfortable on her wedding day, as a bride should be."

Natalia nods in agreement, humming a song to herself.

Xander and Natalia make the perfect pair.

I look over at Emily and she smiles. A small, pretty little smile that makes me wish we were already married.