CHAPTER XXXVI

JACKSON'S POV

NOVEMBER 14
6:39 a.m

I WAKE up with Emily lying on top of me, fast asleep.

Well hell, who am I to protest?

I look around, confused for a second. Right, I forgot we fell asleep in the study.

I think about getting up but I like the feeling of the two of us lying here together.

The happy thought must jinx it, as I hear Emily's groggy groans as she wakes up.

"Morning darling." I whisper, not wanting to startle her.

"Fuck my head hurts." She groans, pressing her forehead to my chest.

"You're probably a little hungover is all." I smooth her hair down. "Would you like me to take you home?"

She makes an inaudible noise.

"I'll take that as a yes." I sigh, sitting up. "I'll have someone around here make us some quick hangover treatments and we'll head out."

She nods, letting me get up before she curls back up on the couch.

I call for a servant that knows almost immediately what I'm about to ask.

I hand the small drink to Emily and she downs it in one chug.

I can tell by the look on her face that she regrets it.

"That was fucking awful." She sets the cup down on the end table. I chug mine too, not wanting to taste it.

"I'm ready to call for a coach when you're ready to go." I wrap an arm around her.

"Carry me?" She outstretches her arms.

I pick her up and start carrying her down the hall.

Mother and Natalia come around the corner, talking.

They both notice me and Emily.

"Morning lovebirds." Mother chirps. "I didn't know you spent the night Emily."

"We crashed on the couch." I readjust her in my arms. "I was just about to take her home."

Emily makes another inaudible noise before burrowing her faces into my chest.

"Aw, going so soon?" Natalia smiles.

"She's hungover as hell." I run my hand up and down her back. "And she's probably got to get to campus today."

"Oh shit." Emily mumbles, difficult to hear because her face is still buried in my shirt. "I can't go there like this."

I can only imagine Emily slumped over in her seat, looking sick to her stomach.

"Perhaps you shouldn't go in today. You can get the notes from someone else, yes?" I keep my voice quiet, knowing if she's as hungover as me, her head is pounding.

She nods and grumbles. "Can you still take me home?"

"Course." I get a firmer grip on her. "I'll grab breakfast in the mortal realm, I'll be back soon." I wave to Mother and Natalia.

I walk outside, still carrying Emily and put her in the coach. She curls up and starts to fall asleep as the get close to the tavern where the mirror is.

I end up carrying her all the way from the tavern, through the small house and out to her car parked on the curb.

I put her in the passenger side, getting the keys from her purse and getting inside.