CHAPTER XL

ALICE'S POV

NOVEMBER 19
12:07 p.m

DAY OF THE WEDDING

THE SERVANT, Doris she said her name was, tightens the bow on the back of my dress and she laces up the back.

I've been up all morning, extremely tired.

"Oh, I wish I had a mirror to show you my dear. You look wonderful." She fixes my slightly frazzled half up-half down hair.

The door opens and I hear Adalia gasp. Her and Emily are ready, with their pretty blue dresses.

"Alice," Adalia stops walking once she's halfway up the platform, "you look lovely."

"Thank you."'I smile, Doris pulling me over to the chair so she can do my makeup.

"You nervous?" Emily grins, sitting down on the vanity next to me.

"A little." I wring out my hands. 'A little' is a very large understatement. "There won't be a lot of people, right Adalia?"

She puckers her lips. "Well. There will be quite a lot. This is the first royal wedding in over a century."

"But don't even focus on those people. They're just prestigious assholes." Emily shrugs.

Adalia looks up at Emily disappointedly. "You realize that all the people attending are the same caliber as Jackson, correct?"

She nods. "Jackson is a prestigious asshole."

"Well I can't say anything like that about the guests but, Emily is right. Don't focus on them." Adalia runs her finger along a braid in my hair. "Just focus on Christos and most importantly, yourself."

I nod and take a deep breath.

There's a knock and the door creaks open. "May I come in?" King Vincent pokes his head in with his hand over his eyes.

"Yes father." Adalia chuckles. "We're all decent if that's what you're wondering."

He comes in and smiles ear to ear when he sees me.

"Stand up dear, let me see the dress." He motions for me to stand. I stand up, wobbling slightly in these damn heels.

He smiles widely at the dress. "Don't tell Christos I said this, but I honestly didn't expect him to get a mate as lovely as you Alice."

Adalia chuckles. "That makes two of us."

"You guys are too sweet." I sit back down, Vincent handing me my bouquet.

My nerves subside for a moment and I get giddy with excitement.

"What's it like out there so far? Any guests yet?" Emily asks him, casually trying to find her own bouquet.

"Yes, and quite a large turnout so it seems." He folds his hands together.

There's a knock on the door and a small girl peaks her head in. The flower girl from what it seems.

"King Vincent, everyone is ready." She squeaks.

"Thank you dear." He calls to her and turns back to me. "That's our cue."