CHAPTER VI

CHRISTOS' POV

OCTOBER 9
10:47 p.m

ALICE LOOKS around, amazed as we walk up the path to the palace. She gawks at everything she sees and asks a dozen questions. I happily answer all her questions, glad with her openness to all this.

Emily has never liked the whole vampire ordeal, she thinks we're all distasteful.

But Alice is so fascinated. It's remarkable.

A guard opens the front gates and another one walks up to us. I'm still holding Alice's hand.

"Master Christos, welcome back." The guard bows. "Might I ask who your friend is?" They motion to Alice.

"This is Emily's younger sister, Alice. Nothing to worry about."

The guard bows to Alice, making her jump. "It's a pleasure to have you here Lady Alice."

"Um, thank you?" She fixes her jean pocket with her free hand. She changed before we left, forcing me into the hallway while she got dressed.

She made me pinky swear I wouldn't peek.

She's so childlike but at the same time it's a trait that suits her. It makes her so refreshing after living in this realm where everyone is doom and gloom.

Her optimism and downright peachy attitude makes me feel a little lighter inside.

We walk to the front door and two servants open it for us. Alice's eyes go wide and her mouth drops open.

"This place is so beautiful. And you just, live here?" Her eyes wander. "This place is so big."

"Yes, well it was built to house the entirety of the royal family for generations but well, things have happened and not all of the royal family lives here now. Just me, my sister and my parents. And the servants of course."

I squeeze her hand and let go, seeing how anxious she is to explore.

Her sneakers tap on the dark wooden floors. Her fingers skim the petals of the roses that sit at the edge of the staircase. She looks up the tall staircase, gaping at the floors above which are barely in view.

Another guard approaches me, getting on my case about leaving the palace without security. It's all in one ear and out the other as I admire the way Alice's face lights up at the chandelier.

"Master Christos, are you even listening to me?" The guard sighs. He's been a guard for as long as I can remember, watching over me from the time I was a baby.

He follows my gaze to Alice and smiles lightly.

He examines her for a moment, no doubt searching through her thoughts and memories.

Finally he claps me on the back. "She's a keeper." He whispers before heading upstairs.

I walk over to her and take her hand. "I could give you a small tour if you'd like."

"I'd love that." She can barely contain her excitement.

I've never seen a mortal so at home in this realm so soon. It's nice, seeing as I've never been very patient.

When I see something I want, I do not intend to wait for it.

We walk upstairs for a bit, hand in hand. She stops to look at the portraits we're passing.

Lining the wall is the family portraits. In the middle is the four of us: Mother, father, me and Adalia. Then there is two more portraits on each side, one of each of us.

"Wow, they're so lifelike."

"Well, we do have the best artist in the realm." I pipe up. "We have only the best here."

She examines each one, blown away by each little detail.

"You know, if things would've worked out, Emily would've had a portrait too. She would've been living here." I add, almost glumly.

"I'm sorry things worked out that way between you two." She mumbles. So sweet.

"Yes well, when one door closes another one opens. Perhaps this is an opportunity for something better." I squeeze her hand so that our palms are flat against each other.

"I still barely know you."

"What do you want to know?"

She shrugs. "What's your favorite food?"

I laugh, taken off guard by such a simple question. "Chocolate. Anything chocolate." We start walking again. "Especially chocolate covered strawberries."

She chuckles. "Sweet tooth, huh?" She has a slight skip in her step. "Mine is sushi. Fish is the only animal I eat and it's only really because my dad used to go fishing all the time. Me and Emily would go with."

"You ever catch anything?"

"My Dad would catch things for me on my rod if that counts." She laughs, her smile reaching her eyes. "And Emily made me think I caught one once but really, it was her who'd caught it. She's good at fishing."

We continue walking around, going back and forth and asking questions.

"I like this little game. Where we talk about ourselves, it's nice." I smile. "It's interesting to hear you tell stories."

"Yeah." She chuckles nervously. "I hope I'm not rambling. I feel like sometimes I talk too much."

"You do, but I like that. I like people who know how to keep a conversation alive."

She smiles and yawns.

"Tired?" I gently drag my fingers up and down her arm. She nods.

"Can you take me home?" She checks her watch.

"You can spend the night here, if you'd like."

She smiles bitterly. "Emily will get worried about me."

"Don't be silly, I can write a letter to Emily and it will be in her hands by tomorrow morning."

She gives me the same look she's given me several times tonight. The 'well I guess it couldn't hurt' look.

I escort her to a guest room across from my room and she practically jumps onto the canopy bed.

"This place continues to amaze me." She sighs. "I thought vampires slept in coffins." I walk over and fluff her pillows, skimming her forehead with my fingers.

"Don't be silly, that's just a myth. You should get some rest." I keep my voice soft. "I'll see you in the morning."

I walk out, closing the doors behind me. I walk across the hall and write two letters. One for Emily and one for Jackson, to be in their hands by tomorrow morning.