19 - The End?

"Leah..." Thor murmured quietly, his hand on my shoulder. I couldn't believe what had just happened.

"I..." I began, blinking away the new tears that were forming in my eyes.

"I want to stay with him."

"We need to go back to Asgard."

"I don't care. I won't leave him! I'll come after you." I said, hugging Loki's still dead body. Thor pressed his lips together and walked to Jane who was watching from afar. She had pity for me. But not for Loki. I didn't care. I just wanted to be alone. They left. I think I kept hugging Loki's body for hours but I lost track of time. It could have been days. Or minutes. But no matter how long I stayed, he wouldn't come to life. I chuckled sarcastically. Of course he wouldn't come alive. He was stabbed by a spear going through his whole body. Who would live through that? I couldn't believe it. I shook my head, a last tear escaping my eye.

I had feelings for him all the way but I was too blinded by the stories I had heard of him. And now when I merely realised what I felt for him, he had gone. Forever. Reluctantly I stood up looking at the direction Thor and Jane had went off to. I didn't want to just let him lay there but what was I supposed to do? Obviously, Thor hadn't picked him up for a reason. I had no other choice but to leave him there. All around were the bodies of dark elves. I looked around. It was a deserted battlefield. Suddenly something blinded me and I held my hand in front of my eyes. There was a dagger on the ground, glowing unnaturaly.

I looked at it with wide eyes

I looked at it with wide eyes. Suddenly the urge to touch it came over me but as soon as I went for it, it glowed even brighter and I shrieked back.

"Our queen." An eerie voice suddenly gasped out from behind me. I screamed, jumping while turning around to find a dark elf badly wounded on the ground. He was barely alive.

"Get away from me!"

"No, you don't understand." Its' voice was raspy. It was clear he was about to die.

"What do I not understand?"

"That dagger. It's the dagger of Döckalfar. It can only be held by royal blood. The lost legacy, the offspring from Wölundur, the king of Svartalfheim."

"Well, I can't hold it, so?" The dark elf began to laugh. It was horrifying and ugly but I decided he was about to die anyways.

"But you're already holding it dear." And he was right. When I looked down I was holding the dagger with a tight grip.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

When I arrived back in Asgard I went straight to my room. Thor's room as well. I was still married to him but it wasn't like we loved each other and everyboy knew. I didn't want to face Odin and have him shout at me for loving Loki, his own son, who he didn't even care about. After hours of laying in bed staring into nothingness, filled with my racing thoughts, Thor knocked at the door. I didn't say anything but he came in anyway.

"Leah, I'm sorry."

"That won't make him come back."

"I know but it's better to get over him as soon as possible. Otherwise you will destroy yourself. I had thought he was dead before and I let it eat me up from inside but I realised it's better to let go." If he only knew what else was eating me up inside.

"I had a dream. In that dream I- I imagined him dead. And that loss and his betrayal pained me more than they should pain a married woman. I ignored the dream. I thought of it as a mere dream. And now? Now it has become reality." I told him quietly. Even though I was still filled with grief something else tugged at the back of my mind. I shook my head mentally. I would deal with it later. For certain.

Flashback

"Loki?" My voice was quiet but strong. I looked frantically around me. A bad feeling had settled in my stomach, though I was yet to see what it meant.

"Loki." I said, more confident, now that I had found him. He was standing in front of me but it seemed like he couldn't hear or see me. His head moved to the side and I followed his eyes. Our gazes landed on Thor, who had appeared out of thin air.

"What's going on? Loki?" Suddenly, Loki pulled out a shiny little dagger. He moved with the smoothness of a cat towards Thor and in the blink of an eye he had pushed the dagger into Thor's stomach. I cried after Loki but he ignored me. Thor's corpse vanished and suddenly he turned around to face me.

"Leah." He snarled. His face told a completely different story though. His gaze never left mine and he slowly took steps closer to me. He had a small smile and took my head inbetween his hands. I didn't know what to say and just stared back at him.

"I love you." Then he kissed me. His soft lips on mine took my breath away but at the same time I was still confused that he had stabbed Thor. I broke away from him, gasping for air.

"What did you do?"

"That oaf was in the way. Now we can be together." Suddenly I saw red. The next moment Loki fell to the floor. He spit blood out of his mouth and looked wide-eyed at me. I furrowed my brow in confusion until I saw the dagger in my hand full of blood. Shocked I let it fall to the floor and knelt next to Loki.

"Loki!" I cried.

"Nononono" He looked at me one last time before he turned blue into his original Frost Giant form and closed his eyes.

That was the point where I woke up. Then I thought it was a dream and I should just forget it. At that time I had looked after Loki and I didn't think anything about it since he was basically locked up. Thor looked down at me, lips in a thin line.

"I will talk to Odin. And I will tell him I will decline the throne. As well as dissolve this marriage."

"You will?" I perched up. He would deny everything given to him. For what?

"You really do love Jane, don't you?"

"I do." I smiled. At least someone was getting their happy end.

"Thank you." I said to Thor softly and he gave me a small nod in response before patting my shoulder as a goodbye. There he went off. In the meanwhile, as Thor was gone talking to Odin, I started packing away some clothes.