5 - Scheming and riddles

The next days went on without anything happening really. It was boring to say the least. Loki was avoiding me, which I at first ignored until it got ridiculous. He wouldn't even talk to me. Maybe one of my comebacks must've hurt him too much? Yeah, don't think so either.

The only thing that came to my mind was that he must have been planning something. An attempt of escape or manipulation to take over whatever realm he had set his eyes on. Though I thought he had changed, even a little tiny bit, I couldn't deny that Loki was unpredictable. Just when you thought you knew his tricks, his little schemes, his behaviour, he did something you would have never expected. He was a fire that couldn't be tamed. Ironically to say so since he is a frost giant but it's true. While he was cold on the outside, he was a wild fire on the inside. And I was the foolish girl who wanted to fight the fire with fire.

There were moments when I saw the good in him, the part Thor had long believed was still in his brother. The brother he grew up with. And I believe it's still in there, even though there are moments where my faith begins to flicker. Anyways, good spot or not, he was definitely planning something.

"I know you're suspicious." His deep voice shook me out of my trance. I had totally forgotten that I went to the library with him.

"I'd say you are as intelligent as I thought you are but wouldn't that make me suspicious even more?"

"Yes, actually. You are doing a poor job at defending yourself." I responded.

"No, because there is nothing to defend. For once I'm not planning what the God of Mischief usually does. Which by the way lies in his nature."

"Wait. Did you call me intelligent? And are you seriously talking about yourself in the third person?"

"At least you can think faster than my brother. Not sure if you should be proud of that though."

"How can you compliment me and insult me at the same time?" Loki shrugged and gave me a smirk.

"Be happy I'm talking to you."

"Don't make it sound like it's an honour."

"You know it is."

"Ha. Ha." I tried to look angrily at him but the smile on my face spread without my permission. A warmth spread in me and I tried to ignore it. It felt good but I knew it was wrong.

"Leah?"

"Mhm?"

"Do you have something to tell me?"

"What?" I asked confused and finally followed Loki's gaze to my lap. I gasped. The book that was lying on it before was floating. As soon as I saw it, it fell down and it was over.

"W-what"

"Was your mother a magician?"

"N-no..."

"Interesting." Loki squeezed his eyes together and focused his attention on the book.

"Interesting?! Are you serious?! Was this me? I mean, is this not just some prank you're playing on me?" I panicked. I had powers? But where from? Nobody in my family possessed magic, I was 22 and only discovered this now! I don't know, if my father would accept this.

He already hated me, an abnormality would only give him another reason. He'd send me back to our kingdom. I'd be alone again. And I would probably still have to marry Thor. No, he can't find out about this. No one can know. I can't handle this, I don't think anyone else could.

"Hey, calm down. It's not a prank. This was all you. Breathe. You lifted a book without using your hands, you didn't kill a person." He was right. But still my breaths began to get faster and faster. Slowly but surely the air seemed to get thinner and I felt nauseous.

"Leah, calm down. Breathe, slowly. There's no reason to panic."

"I-i-i can't stop." I tried to say in between breaths. It felt like my eyes were rolling in my head, the room began to move. I couldn't calm down. I felt a pair of arms wrap around me and a shooing sound. Loki's breath hit my hair, his scent filling my nostrils.

Sweet nothings were whispered into my ear and slowly his presence calmed me down, only quiet sobs escaping me now. I buried my head into his chest, not wanting him to let go. Forget what he did, he was there for me when he needed to. He knew when to stop and he was extremely comfortable.
"Please don't tell anyone." I whispered.
"I won't."
"Promise!"
"I promise." Oh, I should've known that the God of Lies never keeps his word.