Chapter ten

Hey everyone, sorry it's been so long since I've last updated, I've been real busy as of late. :( And yes, I know, it’s a short chapter, sorry. The next chapter will hopefully be longer though.

Anyways, hope you enjoy the chapter! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zachary's P. O. V

"Wait, Zachary," Jason shouted from behind me, and from the sound of it, he was not too far away from me, and closing in fast. Even though I had a good thirty second of a head start his long legs carried him far faster towards me than my shorter one moved me away from him.

This annoyed me some as I hastily quickened my pace, choosing to ignore his pleads as though I had not heard them in the first place. I would not listen to him; I was far too upset to even conceive of stopping to hear his excuses. Nothing he could say to me would make me feel any better. In fact, he had said enough already as it was, his hurtful words still pierced through me as I ran, filling me with sorrow.

It had finally happened, he had found out everything, and there was no way to take any of it back. The realization of this brought with it pain like never before. Nothing would ever be the same again knowing that he knew all that I had kept hidden so purposefully these past days. Every dark reality that I had experienced was his to do with as he feels fit. Which would also mean that his words would only be that much of a blow to my core if he so chooses to reject my very being.

But how could I have not known this was going to happened? How could I have not seen it from the start? I ground out harshly at myself, feeling mad at myself for not preparing for this occurrence if it were to happen -- and like I had feared, it did.

Though it was all a useless struggle on my part really to keep it a secret from him when he was sure to find out eventually. I mean, if you let some random person you plucked off the streets into your house you're bound to be curious as to what went on in that person's life to get them where they were, so why was I mad anyways?

Maybe it was because he had promised before that he had no care for why he found me the way I was, or maybe because I had thought he wouldn't care if he found out about my past, that he would still let me stay and accept me even with everything that had happened to me.

But I was wrong, so very wrong. Sadness overwhelmed me and I fought back the raw emotions that were fighting to escape my hold on them. They beat at me restlessly and without pause until I found my will ready to break under its pressure.

He had cared, and now he was disgusted with me and most likely wanted to kick me out, how could he not after what he heard me confess. And the look he gave me made me want to throw up.

Pity shown in his eyes.

He pitied me.

Anger filled me so unexpectedly, and with a vengeance that I could scarcely hold myself back from turning around that instant and giving Jason a piece of my mind. I don't need his pity; it was the last thing I want. What I need from him was for him to accept what happened to me and, I don't know, pretend that it never happened in the first place.

Okay, maybe not that, but at least not pity.

I could hear the pounding of his feet on the sidewalk nearing me steadily from behind, coming closer as time passed. For each step I took, he took two. At the rate we were going he would catch up to me in no time. Who would ever think that a man of such size could run so fast?

I let out a startled gasp as a hand encircled my arm and spun me around so that I was facing the sight of a very worn out and breathless Jason. Sweat glistened lightly on his skin from the run, making the sun that beat down on us from above reflect on his tanned flesh. His breath was coming out in short burst, like mine was, as he struggled to get air into his oxygen deprived lungs and his eyes had a wild, desperate look to them that unnerved me.