9- Late

My mouth hung open in disbelief as I stared at his retreating form. He was so aggressive and regarded me with such undeserved hostility. I had done nothing to warrant the way he spoke to me.

I wish I had the confidence to walk up to him and give him a piece of my mind, but I didn't, and I never have nor will. Besides, he would fire me, and then where would I go? Back home? No way in hell.

Instead, I fumed internally in anger, conjuring up what I would say to him in my mind if o had the chance to defend myself.

Although the company in the house was not great, I rather enjoyed living here. The lack of socialization didn't bother me as I was used to being alone and isolated. I preferred it that way. Here, I could eat actual meals, food that tasted good and natural, unlike the cheap frozen food I used to buy for my father and me. Here, I could sleep in a comfortable bed without wondering if someone would barge into my room and begin beating me because he was in a drunken rage. Here was better than my previous house.

I did wonder what he did for a living to afford this place. He had only left a few times in the entire time I'd been there, so it appeared that he did not have a corporate 9-5 job as most people did. He must have been a successful CEO or something like that to live the lavish lifestyle he did.

I stood over the stove as I made beef stroganoff for dinner. He said he wasn't picky about what he ate, so hopefully, he liked this. After the stroganoff was done, I spooned a large portion onto Arsenio's plate. I noticed he ate a lot and frequently got more than what I initially served him.

I set his plate on the island in the kitchen where he usually ate his meals at. Then I leaned against the wall, waiting for him to come down, but he never did. I waited almost fifteen minutes past the time he had set for dinner.

Maybe I should go check on him?

No, he does not particularly like me. He would probably get angry if I went looking for him. He also told me I was only allowed in a few rooms, so he wouldn't appreciate it if I went snooping around his house for him.

But what if he was hurt? I was conflicted. I didn't like him either, but he always showed up for his meals on time. He was more than in time, he was early for them. It was uncharacteristic of him to be late, so he possibly was hurt somewhere. He was an undeniably rude person, but I would feel guilty for the rest of my life if he was hurt and I didn't go looking for him.

Sighing, I pushed myself up from my leaning position again the wall. Leaving the kitchen, I made my way around the house, looking for Arsenio. I had a feeling this would most likely end up badly for me, but he was always on time for dinner. I was worried.

I first checked his office, but he wasn't there. Then I moved down the hallway to his bedroom. His room was just like his office, the only room occupying the entire hallway. He was a private man. I knocked on his door, but he didn't answer.

As I turned the corner of the hallway to reach the top of the stairs, I ran straight into something hard and firm, but also warm. I began falling backward. I wasn't sure what I had run into until I felt large muscular arms wrap around my waist, holding me up so I didn't fall. I looked up in shock and came face to chest with a half-naked Arsenio.

He was sweating profusely and only wearing black gym shorts and tennis shoes. His chiseled muscles and bare abdomen were on full display. No matter how much of an asshole he had proven to be, he had a handsome body, one I couldn't look away from. The sweat droplets running down his body weren't making it easier to look away from him, but I managed to.

My eyes met his. He immediately dropped his hands from my waist, and I hated to admit it, but I wished he wouldn't have. I enjoyed the tingles that spread through my body when he touched me. His touch didn't repulse me or make me flinch, either, which was what I was used to.