An Unnerving Introduction

"Oh you can't be serious, eye patch. This is a state of the art building meant for business, not a fucking daycare for messed up kids." I heard the oh-so-great Tony Stark through the closed doors, sounding utterly vexed.

"It's an order, Tony. Not a request. You should have thought this through before you gave up this tower as the HQ for Avengers." Fury bellowed, rather enraged by the billionaire's tone. I wouldn't blame him, I felt offended as well. I hated when people regarded me as a kid, the rest of the part remained true though. I was messed up, and this place was pretty much going to be a hostel for me. The place was great, but I sure as hell wasn't welcome.

"Right." Tony scoffed and I heard some pages rumble. "How do you expect him to be an Avenger and not be a fucking toddler that just gets in people's way?" He said. That tin-heart needs to keep his mouth in line.

"We're not yet clearly sure as to what he can do. But we're conducting a few tests. And we'd like if you and Dr. Banner would be keen to help us. He was the best candidate we had in the SHIELD academy."

Tony let out a sharp chuckle, "Keen?"

"He's an interesting subject, Stark." Fury said and I scoffed. Fuck. Fury opened the door and looked down at me, making me step back with a nervous chuckle. "I suppose you've heard everything. You have your stuff, I'll send in the rest later. Tony will show you your room." Fury said and left, looking pissed. It was clear even before coming here that Fury did not like this man and would be happy to avoid a confrontation if possible.

Tony looked as much annoyed as Fury. And boy did he look scary. He looked me up and down, making me shuffle a bit. He looked at my half-torn bag around my shoulder and scoffed bitterly, "That all you got?"

I retorted to look in a different direction than to meet his eyes. "Fury said he'll bring the rest later." I said, kinda surprised I didn't stutter.

"Right." Tony muttered under his breath, walking past me out of the door to what looked like the living room. I followed suit, looking around. Tony stopped and looked back at me, "You can settle here." He pointed to the couch.

"Sir, the guest rooms are well equipped for accommodations." A voice so natural it felt uncanny with a touch of British accent rose through the room.

"I know, Jarvis. But I'm going to have you keep a close eye on him. Give him a level 2 clearance for now; anything suspicious, you notify me straight up. Is that clear?" Tony said, his eyes fixed on me throughout.

"Crystal clear, sir. May I know your name?" Jarvis questioned back. Tony gestured me annoyingly before I realised the question was for me to answer.

"Y/N" I spoke up.

"Any last name, sir?" Jarvis asked again.

"I don't prefer one, thanks." I said awkwardly. Tony gave me a look before assigning me weird rules which pretty much allowed just the couch, the television set, the kitchen and the main floor bathroom. He left after that. I sighed and sat on the couch. I may have moaned a little, the couch was way more comfortable than anything I had ever sat on in my entire life. I immediately laid back down with my hands crossed behind my head, this was good. Nothing else was. I had told Fury a million times I did not want anything to do with these "Avengers". Kind of a dumb name, really; how was I supposed to work alongside these gods and superheroes? But I didn't have anywhere else to go, and Fury did help me through. I cannot deny that. I closed my eyes and replayed the previous conversations in my head, thinking of witty comebacks I could have said back. And that's how I fell asleep.

***

"Sir, Mr. Y/N's vitals are fluctuating indicating he might be having an anxiety attack. Should I call someone if you do not prefer to deal with him directly?" Jarvis spoke, putting a block to Tony's chain of thoughts as he worked in his lab. He groaned and told Jarvis not to as he went to the elevator to get to the main floor. Boy he hated teenagers.