Taken

"Any signs of Thor?" Tony asked Fury, after finally getting a grasp of the situation.

Fury shook his head, "Not yet. What happened with Rogers and Barton?"

"No idea, Nat talked to Steve though."

"Didn't say anything to me." Natasha said. "It obviously has something to do with Clint." She said. "There wasn't any-" Natasha was interrupted when Tony's phone started beeping.

Tony grabbed his phone from the pocket immediately. His eyes widened when he looked at the screen, "It's Jarvis, the tower is under attack."

***

Steve was sitting on the bench at the park in front of the hospital when he saw smoke erupting a few blocks away, it was coming from the tower. He stood up immediately when his phone rang. It was Natasha.

"Steve, there's an attack on the tower. Go upstairs, stay with Y/N." She said and cut the call before Steve could even reply. Within minutes, all of the avengers were out of the hospital building and those who weren't there were notified about the attack. Steve was dumbfounded and was about to run to the rest of the team to join them when Tony stopped him. "We got this. Stay with Y/N, he might need you." He said and armoured up, flying off as the others got in their cars and drove off.

Steve sighed and took the elevator to go upstairs. He saw you in the hospital bed, still unconscious. Seeing you brought up unimaginable feelings within him. His heart ached to see you in the hospital bed, powerless. It wasn't you... You were never powerless. This hospital, these motionless limbs... They didn't suit you.

Steve took a deep breath and sat down on a chair outside your room, his breaths growing heavier by the second. He couldn't help but think of how it was his entire fault. Had he just stayed back, had he just talked it out instead of lashing out and running away. He just wanted to give you some time to think. But he failed... He failed to understand you. He should've known better, should've known thinking has never done you any good. Especially when the thinking is going to stir up some emotions.

Steve still did not know why you slept with Clint, or if you even did sleep with Clint. For all he knew, you could've just spent the night in the same room as Clint. Was it a regular thing? Had you been sneaking behind his back to see Clint? Are you still in love with Clint? Steve knew you. You'd never hurt him. Maybe you just didn't want to hurt him and didn't tell him that you didn't love him anymore.

He could raise James by himself, right? Of course he could, he thought. He'd still have his memories with you keep him moving. And maybe James will make peace with you gone just as he did.

It did not matter to him anymore whether you chose Clint or him. You were hurting and that should be his prime concern, he reminded himself. If you were happy with Clint, he'd be happy to let you go. For in your happiness was his.

Steve grunted and shook his head, standing back up. He tried to clear his mind and not think too much. You needed him; he couldn't let himself be weak. Not when his only backup was lying unconscious in a hospital bed.

Fortunately, his train of thoughts was derailed when he heard some shuffling coming from your room and got up. He stood up and looked through the glass to see that you had woken up. His heart was beating faster, should he go in? He wasn't sure if he'd be able to face you. He just didn't feel ready.

Fortunately, a nurse walked by. Steve stopped him and asked him to check on you. The nurse nodded and went in. A doctor was called as well.

"He's fine, surprisingly. Whatever caused the outburst, I feel he's made peace with it. There can be a few aftershocks; we can't really tell what's going inside his head. You should go talk to him, help him focus on something else." The doctor said to Steve and left. The doctor knew about SHIELD and knew how to handle these kinds of cases.