Recrudescence

You had almost fallen asleep when Steve walked back to the room. "Y/N." He said, his voice louder than usual. He was either nervous or confused about something and you could tell, as you had learnt along the years living with him. "I need to talk to you." You nodded and were just about to wake up Thor after failing to pull his head up when Clint walked to the picture.

"Why don't you talk about it here? It's better everyone hears it now." He said.

You had to inhale deeply to be able to breath amidst the tension in the room. Steve's brows were frowned and you could see the creases being formed on his forehead. What if Clint had told Steve the things he told you yesterday? God, no. His kids were in the same room for God's sake.

"Laura." Clint gestured towards her and she nodded as she took the kids to their rooms. And that's when Natasha walked into the room as well.

"Steve?" You looked at him as worry coursed through your body. "What is going on?"

"It wasn't a matter of coincidence that this was the only safe place available when the tower was surrounded." He said, his fists clenched at his side.

Clint sighed. He took a chair and sat down. Thor has woken up as well by now. "Jeffery... he's been asking me to join the Avengers for some time now." He said.

"But your..." You started speaking but trailed off, not knowing how to put the situation into words.

"SHIELD had a doctor look into my treatment after I left. And I've made a lot of progress. I can still shoot with the same accuracy, if not better." He said. He took a deep breath and sighed, "But I've always said no anyway."

"Until..." Steve spoke up and looked towards you. He rubbed his face and looked away. "Mace knew Barton would say yes if we were to meet him again." Steve said and everyone in the room knew he meant you alone.

"I just..."

"You can't." Natasha said. "What about Laura and the kids?"

Clint just gave her a look and stood up, "I've made up my mind. I'll tell her tonight." He said and left the room.

"Did you talk to him?" Steve turned to you. You swallowed hard as he glared at you. You simply shook your head. Steve was never this bitter towards you. Even when he did scold you, it was always for little things and always in private. "Right." He said and muttered something under his breath which you obviously couldn't hear and left.

"Y/N..." Thor looked at you with an apologetic physiognomy. Natasha glowered at you before going after Clint.

"God, I so wish I was dead right now." You mumbled, plummeting your face in your hands as you rested your elbows on your knees.

***

The rest of the day wasn't much great, honestly. Steve had been outside for almost the whole day. He first went running in the forest and got a bunch of firewood on the way back which he spent a couple of hours cutting outside the house. You were worried for him. He had never been like this before.

You finally decided after a while that it was enough. You got up and went outside to see Steve cutting firewood. "We need to talk." You said.