Incinerated Protection

"Unbelievable." Tony muttered under his breath. "I leave for one minute and..." he took a deep breath. He pushed the auto pilot button on his car and turned to you. "I thought I could trust you." Tony said as looked at you.

"It's not his fault you guys locked him up." Clint spoke up from the back, hands crossed and face puffed like a little kid in detention. Tony ignored him, still looking at you.

"I'm sorry. I just... it was getting hard staying indoors." You looked up for the first time since you got in the car. You faced Tony, "They kept me behind locked doors at SHIELD. When I saw the chance here... I mean... I wasn't going to run or anything I was just-"

"It doesn't matter what you were going to do! What would I have answered to Fury had something bad happened?" Tony raised his voice, making you flinch a bit.

"I'm sorry." Your heart beat raised. If something bad were to happen, you repeated inside your head. Tony sighed and got back the controls of the car, trying to focus on somethjng else. He drove them back to the tower in silence as none of you spoke further. "P-Please don't tell Fury." You said, and Tony could hear the fear in your voice. So could Clint, his eyes fixed Tony.

"I won't." Tony said, sighing as he parked the car. "But I'm going to have to put you on lockdown. No questions asked." Tony added in a stern voice. All three of you got out, and you went straight to your room without saying another word. Tony turned to Clint, "Stay away from him. And that's my last warning to you." Tony said.

"Yeah? And what you going to do, papa bear? Ground me too?" Clint huffed.

"I'm serious, Barton. He's not one of your one time affairs." Tony said and left for the lab.

Clint sighed and went to the shooting range in the building. He sometimes wished he was as rich and smart as Tony. Maybe he'd stand a better chance then.

***

"Hey, you hungry? Cap brought Pizza." Tony knocked on your door. The doors to your room were open as you sat on your bed, reading a book.

You looked up and smile slightly, you nodded and put the book down. "Always hungry for pizza." You said and walked up to him. He chuckled. You loved pizza, but you were genuinely hungry too. It was late afternoon you had eaten nothing but bits of snacks after breakfast. You two went down to the main floor. Steve smiled at you, a fake one. Thor was there too, he greeted you much brightly. Most of the conversation was lead by Steve, centering the new addition to the team. You preferred not to indulge though. Steve just pointed out how young you were for their team and how unworthy. Thor did defend you though, that not knowing someone doesn't really prove their worth.

You didn't feel like eating after a couple of slices and a bunch of taunts from steve. You kinda wished Clint was there. You were just about to get up when Steve spoke directly to you, "You know, we're going to have to know you in order to trust you as a fellow Avenger." He said, looking at you as your eyes locked.

"If you knew me, you wouldn't trust me at all." You said, Steve narrowed his eyes.

"He means your abilities, Y/N. We all know you have something up your sleeve. It'll be just a whole lot easier if you told us." Tony spoke up.

You sighed and looked down. "I'm done. Thank you for the meal, Steve." You said and got up, pushing your chair back in. But Steve stood up and grabbed your wrist, to which Tony stood up as well.

"You can't run, Y/N." he tightened his grip, making you flinch. "You're going to talk or I'm making you." He said, annoyed and angry.

"Woah easy there Cap, it's not like he-" Tony started but Steve gave him a look that made him stop.