If You Close Your Eyes, Does It Always Feel Like Nothing Changed At All?

My darling, can't we make up?
Ever since our breakup
Make believe is all I do
I'm laughing on the outside
Crying on the inside
'Cause I'm still in love with you

And just then, Clint stood up and left. To see what was wrong, Laura followed Clint and seeing that she was gone, Steve immediately took the guitar from you. "That's enough, Y/N. You need to get to bed." He said and almost dragged you to the guest room as you protested and wanted to play more. The music and the alcohol had provided such intense and unbelievable calm to you that it was unimaginably addicting. But little did you know, a little chaos was roving everyone's conscience.

"Steve~" You pouted as Steve lead you to the guest room you were staying in.

"No. I told you to not drink too much and look at what you did." Steve scolded you as he sat you down on the bed and paced the room. "God, Y/N. You're not as young as you used to be anymore." He said, pinching the bridge of his nose. You gulped and looked down, the intoxications finally introducing to the gloom that hid behind it.

Steve noticed it and sighed. He crouched down on his knees in front of you and made you look at him, "I'm sorry. I didn't want it to sound like that." He said.

"I'm sorry, Steve." You whispered as tears brimmed your eyes. You didn't know what to do. Your stomach was in knots and your head was blasting off like a canon. You loved Steve. But you were still in love with Clint. And there was no denying it. How could it be possible for someone to love two people at once? You had earlier thought that maybe it was just your memories and emotions clogging your logic but upon seeing Clint... everything had changed.

"Just go to sleep, okay? You'll feel better tomorrow." He said. You nodded and he helped you remove your clothings. He himself took off his shirt and shoes before getting in bed with you. "I love you, Y/N." Steve whispered.

"I love you too, Steve." You said and leaned into his touch as he put his arm around you.

"Stay strong. For me." He said. You didn't reply to it. You didn't know how to. Although you understood exactly what he had meant, you didn't want to think about it. More like you couldn't think about it.

Memories of your time with Clint haunted your conscience as soon you closed your eyes. And for the first time, you loved it. You had shut the memories far behind closed doors. But everything had changed today.

If put in simplest terms, it's like switching from black coffee to green coffee. You know it's healthy and you start to enjoy it's aroma and relish its flavours as well. With a span of passed time, you forget about the black coffee you once so truly loved. One day, you run out of options and you're forced to meet with your old friend. You take a sip of the black coffee and it's like you're put in reverse. As soon as the very first sip reaches your brain, you find your cravings and muted love for black coffee returning. Everything happens too fast and you're left in an awestruck labyrinthine of dilemmas and conundrums that you weren't prepared for. 

You turned and faces away from Steve as you let your tears silently fall and wet your pillow. Soon enough, you heard Steve's snores and deciding that sleep wasn't coming to you anytime soon, you carefully got up from the bed. As the odds seemed to be in your favour, you managed to get out of the room without waking Steve up. You took a deep breath and sighed. Perhaps a glass of warm milk would do, you thought.

You walked down the stairs and went straight to the kitchen. The living room was now deserted as everyone had left to their respective rooms to sleep. You poured some milk in a glass and just as you were about to put it in the microwave, you heard a voice from behind you.