Holding On

The elevator doors opened and Thor came in, his breaths heavy. Was he out of breath? Uncanny. "Run." He said. Just as the single word left Thor's mouth, you heard gushing winds as a couple of helicopters came up to the window. They hovered dangerously close to the tower, one look to the choppers gave out they were SHIELD's. Everyone in the room knew they were here for you.

"Y/N NO!" Both Tony and Clint yelled as you ran towards the balcony. The windows were already open. Clint ran behind you as Tony commanded Jarvis to get him a suit. But then you jumped off the railings. With your head straight down, your arms and legs shut together close to your body, you were speeding down at tremendous speed. The sound of cutting air from the back told you the choppers were right behind. Just a hundred meters above the ground, you opened your enormous wings. You spread out your arms to help your wings provide the correct resistance. Your speed slowed down as you descended. That's all those wings could do now. And in a matter of seconds, you had landed on your feet and were now running after having pulled the wings back. (They pretty much work like Logan's claws.)

The choppers had stopped at a safe distance above the ground, and numerous unmanned bots came out hovering above the ground as the followed you. What was going on though? It all just didn't add up. Everyone knew Steve started the fight, and you only hit him once. Even if it all did somehow relate, Tony had called for his suit around 5 minutes ago. He should've come to help you by now.

But you didn't get to think much as you took a deroute into an alleyway. You almost got tripped when Steve landed in front of you. He was suited, and you surely were fucked. The bots had stopped behind you and Captain America stood upright with his shield in his right hand in front of you. You gulped. "You can't run, Y/N. It's over, Fury's orders. We're taking you down." He said, stepping forward.

Think fast, think fast. You repeated in your mind, analysing the situation and the environment you were stuck in. The alley was narrow so their wasn't much space to move. The bots behind you wouldn't spare you if you tried you go past them. And steve, well he was angry. You sighed and chose Steve as the obstacle you'd fight. SHIELD was dark, but not as much. And you knew Fury. If Steve was here on Fury's orders, he sure as hell wasn't supposed to kill you. If I move fast enough and close to Steve, there's no chance those bots could attack in an alleyway like this. You thought. Steve was closing dangerously now, and his look was unsettling. With the Adrenaline rushing through your veins, you pulled a knife you always kept with you in your sock sleeve and launched at Sleeve. By instinct, he put up his shield in defence. You grinned at the predictability and instead of the knife, you jumped with your full body on the shield. As Steve pulled it back, it faced upwards for a split second and you took your chance. Pushing with all your strength, you jumped up. You grabbed the railing above and climbed up as fast you could. You were good, but not perfect. Steve was faster. He grabbed your feet and pulled you down with an unexpected force.

With a large thud, you fell to the floor. You didn't even get time to think before Steve started landing punching on your face. He was sitting on your chest, his knees holding your hands down. The pain was familiar, way too familiar to you. You pulled your legs up and wrapped them around Steve's head before pulling out your wings. The force of the wings pushed you a little up from the ground, and that is everything that you needed. You rolled out of Steve's grip and kicked his face hard, pulling your wings back in. He fell back and you took the time to deal with the bots. You crushed them with your powers and pinned Steve to a wall with his own shield.

Controlling his shield felt different. It felt smooth and exciting. The metal was strong. And it gave you power, the power you did not desire but had always thought about. The power that was wrong. You snapped out of your thoughts when you heard the sound of rocks falling down. You looked around the see the walls of the buildings slightly tearing apart. Steve was trying hard not to be crushed by his own shield. You immediately let it all go and you started seeing black spots around the corners of your vision. Not now, you thought. You felt blood dripping from your head as Steve jabbed you and you hit the wall behind. The pain was somehow not evident. You tried to fight, using everything you knew about close combat but your moves were sloppy and getting more and more predictable. With every hit you took came a tingling feeling to your stomach. Your powers wanted out. Your body wanted to protect itself. But you knew what all it could do. You felt you would faint any moment. Come on, Y/N. Just a little more, you said to yourself. But Steve managed to get you off balance. You heard your ribs crack as he kicked you. Tears left your eyes as you closed them. Please, you begged yourself. But it was all frivolous. It was out.