Oh No

-Hiccup's pov-

We watched the gang trudge up the hill towards the cave where I stayed in while I was healing. I guess that was where Astrid was staying, given because they agreed to go and visit Astrid before trudging up there - and that was the only place up that path apart from a cliff, and I really hope that she wasn't at the cliff...

I waited until I saw movement again about an hour later, and the gang rushed out from the trees and scuttled over to the other side of the town. My eyes widdened in thankfullness as I spotted a blonde figure jogging with them, smiling and laughing along and it warmed me from the inside. I decided to stay on Berk a little longer than anticipated, in hope that I would catch another glimpse of her, to make sure that it wasn't just my mind playing tricks on me. I made sure to stay hidden in the cover of the trees, just hidden to be completely concealed, but close enough to the edge so I could see the busy Berkians bustling about there business and not get attacked by the Moonspines, although I highly doubt they would come this far from where they were yesterday and away from their eggs, but better to be safe than sorry, right? Toothless was busy scratching himself on the rough bark of the trees and making a lot of noise in the process and the warming, comforting smell of the pine forest filled me with hopefullness and relaxation.

After about half an hour, the gang were speeding back up the mountain path, Snotlout with a browning, large, draw-string bag slumped over his shoulder and then a very angry Mildew a few metres behind, wiggling his stick in a nasty way. I chucked to myself, but I was still curious to find out what they had got up to, and why it resulted in an angry Mildew, and why they did it in the first place, and who's idea it was and why they thought of it. And again, the beautiful blonde was within the group, although she didn't look as happy as before, she still didn't look unhappy and she disappeared into the trees, up the path to the cave. 

After about another half hour, they re-appeared again, the sack slung between the twins. Snotlout had the biggest grin on his face, while the twins looked satanic and the chubby Fishlegs was bringing up the rear, cautiously keeping a few metres away from the others. He looked really on edge, checking that no-one was following them every other step, his eyes wide in anxiety. I shuffled closer to the now disappearing gang and watched intensely for a snap shot of the strong shield-maiden. My breathing became quicker after a few minutes that she hadn't appeared and it wasn't helped by the gang's expressions. The twins had looked satanic - just like a spectacular prank had gone perfectly; Snotlout had looked smug - almost like he had gotten revenge on someone who went against him or he had just gotten something which he had wanted for a long time; Fishlegs had looked really nervous - like he regretted what he had just done and didn't want to be caught or spotted near the others. And then there was the problem that was Astrid. She had gone up there, but not returned. What had happened?

"Come on, Toothless. We need to see where Astrid is." I said to the dragon as I slipped him around the outside of the village quietly, then headed up the steep, dirt path where we last saw Astrid go. I was cautious on the journey, the fear of what might have happened nagging at the back of my head and I stood centimetres away from the dragon, just to make me feel better and safer. I wasn't one to normally admit it - but I was very much scared. I have never been a fearless Viking, but I am not a total wimp either, so I learned to conceal it early on - my father couldn't stand cowardice and he had a very 'good' way of making sure I never was cowardly. I was careful not to make a sound as I tip-toed through the silent forest, Toothless's feet patting gently beside mine in a steady rhythm.

After a surprisingly short distance, we saw the cave where I suspected the gang were going to and fro from, and where I should find Astrid.  The sun was setting beautifully and it cast a warming glow over the area. It was clear that the gang had been hear - the entrails of a fire, metal wire, fish bones, yak bones, mutton bones, apple cores, fur of boars, a discarded water flask, a fake Tuff-inspired mask, trodden grass, half-cooked bass, broken twigs, foot prints, an extra sack, a cooling rack, a tattered book and lastly Gobber's hook (don't ask me why they had these, of where they got 'em from, I have been sitting in the village all day).