E5: To The Rescue!

Hey guys! Soz for being absent for a while, but I am sad to tell you that this will be the last, final, no-more-after-this-one extras chapter. :(

Extra chapter on Hiccup's first dragon rescue.

Set 2 weeks after he left Berk.

-Hiccup's pov-

It had been a few days since I left Jufhara and Myte and, to be honest, I'm getting a little lonely. Of course I have Toothless to talk to, but he can't talk to me, only croon and warble, which doesn't make a good conversation. Sometimes when we settle down on an island for the night, we encounter some wild dragons for Toothless to talk to, to play with, but I always pick island without any people (and for good reason) so I can't help but feel lonely.

Also, I'm getting slightly bored. There's nothing to do. When I left Jufhara I imagined myself going off and having adventures, exploring, finding a new dragon-friendly home. But it's nothing like I imagined. It's cold, wet, sleepless nights, hunger, dehydration, sun burns and isolation. But, I decided, what's the point of just rescuing Toothless from the Hooligans when there are hundreds, thousands more out there who also need saving? I'm not going back to Berk just yet, no way jose, or anywhere near it, but all of these communities around here have dragons, and have dragons who need freeing. They don't know me, I don't know them and to solve my cut-off-from-civilisation problem and I-have-no-one-to-talk-to problem, maybe I could talk to them a bit to distact them, or maybe I could just throw a few insults their way and see their reaction. Either would be fine.

"Come on, Toothless. We've gotta get going, bud." I called over to him. It was early morning and I was roasting a fish over a fire. Toothless was still trying to go back to sleep even though the sun was shining directly on him as it had just came over the horizon.  Toothless rubbed his face with his paws and turned his head away from me, curling his tail around himself to hide himself from view. I took the fish from the spit and began to eat it.

"I'm just saying. We're gonna free some dragons today. Would you like that?" I asked him, between mouth fulls of my fish. Toothless made no gesture to show he had heard me. "Come on bud." I sighed, "I'm going to need you to blast some cages."

Toothless begrudgingly lifted himself off the ground and, making sure to look at me with his 'I'm fed up with you' face as he passed where I was sitting, walked over to the sea and shook himself down, cleaning away all of the loose sand grains and dried mud (and spraying me with salt water) before attempting to catch his breakfast. Did I also mention how fed up I am of eating fish for breakfast, lunch and dinner, every single day? It's fine for dragons because they're used to it, but me? Nah. I ate all of my oranges within a few days, and now there's only fish...

I put out the fire and buried the ashes in the sand to get rid of our trail. I picked myself up from the ground and dusted off my clothes of the sand that was clinging to them. I placed all of my belongings (I haven't got that many) into my satchel. Toothless had now finished catching and eating his breakfast so I called him over and with a little bit of persuasion, managed to get him up in the air again.

The sun wasn't blinding, however as we flew in its glare, I could practically feel it melting my face. The sky was cloudless, so the sun was always pressing down on my back. I noticed how that practically ever since I left Berk, it has always been sunny. And I'm no weather person, but I found out what that is likely to mean: storms. Bucket normally told the whole village when there was going to be a storm, well, more like screamed it to the whole village, and he was almost always correct. But, I didn't have Bucket with me at this time, so I just had to go off my intuition, and that told me there was a storm approaching.

This put me in a dilemma. I didn't know when this storm was going to hit; maybe a few hours, a day, three days? But I was praying that it would be the latter. I couldn't conduct a dragon freeing thing in the middle of a storm, because we'd be putting ourselves in danger, too, and I wasn't about to risk that. So, if the storm does pick up soon, then I wouldn't be able to free the dragons, however if I did free them before the storm, then their first night alone in perhaps years, would be dangerous and deadly, so I just really hoped that the storm would hold its horses and stay put out of the way for a few more days at least.