Doll

After we got home, Matty had gotten into the shower and left me to think.

I laid back onto his bed, sighing and closing my eyes. The trip wasn't that tiring, but my brain was more worn out than my body. It had been thinking a lot lately, something constantly running through it, keeping it going. Before I came here, it was silent unless it was morning when I allowed it to think. Everything else was all concern about my father, wondering when he'd wake up, when he'd speak to me next, if he was ever going out, but it was always the same questions. It was almost like my brain was on a schedule and never broke to think about anything else.

I rolled over onto my side to look toward the window, but I was stopped by a sharp pain in my side. I opened my coat and revealed the book I had forgotten tucked away in my side.

I took it from my jacket and looked it over, examining it once more. It really did look like Matty. It reminded me of him in every way. I hadn't even thought about the contents of the book, I bought it out of simple impulse. It looked too much like him; I couldn't leave it in the shelf to stay and collect dust.

Standing from my place, I left the book laid on the mattress and went into the kitchen. I instantly went to the coffee maker, starting the magical machine that I had grown so attached to.

It probably wasn't healthy, but I was close with that coffee machine. I started a habit of having coffee whenever I wanted something to drink, and it'd probably kill me soon. Oh well, at least I'll die happy.

As I poured coffee into mugs, I heard the water stop. Matty must be done with his shower then. Just in time for coffee, too.

Going into the living room, I set the cups on the table and took out my phone, checking to see if I had any messages. Nothing.

The bathroom door opened and I heard his gentle footsteps pad into his room.

Matty emerged from the bedroom moments later, his curly, wet hair stuck down to his face, the book in his hand.

"Hey Hayley, where do you know where this book came from?" He asked.

I tried to hide the giant smile trying to creep onto my face, looking up at the curious expression on his.

"I bought it at the shop earlier. I thought it looked like you." I tried my hardest to keep my expression nonchalant.

Matty looked at me in awe.

"What? When did you get it? You never put it on the counter." He questioned.

"Remember when I went to the bathroom? I didn't actually go, I bought that for you."

I couldn't hide my smile, his reaction was priceless.

"Are you mad!? You didn't have to go and do that!"

He sat on the sofa next to me and pulled me into a hug.

"I wanted to thank you again for letting me stay here and for taking me shopping. And for being so nice to me. And for staying up all night." I said as we pulled out of the hug.

"You've already thanked me! But seriously, thank you. I love it."

I smiled and looked at the book in his hands.

"I knew you would."

I got a text from Vee not long after, asking if I'd come over. Honestly, I didn't want to have Finn stare at me the whole time, but I told myself if I ignored him everything would be fine.

Matty insisted on walking me there, despite it being a short walk, but I promised him I'd be fine and ring him if anything happened.

I made the short walk to Vee's in one piece and walked up the steps, hoping no one but Vee would answer.