Flowers

Matty and I arrived to the club, both more than ready to get ourselves so drunk we might not make it home by sunrise.

We sat in the same booth as before, ordering the same drinks, downing them as fast as possible.

"Don't get yourself too fucked, I'm the one dragging you home" Matty laughed, pointing to the already empty shot glass on the table.

"Watch me." I smiled mischievously, standing from the table and sending him a playful wink.

I shuffled through crowds of people, remembering how Vee guided me through the sea of dancing bodies after nearly saving my life. I'll always be grateful for her.

I told the bartender to give me the strongest thing he had, not sure what that amount of alcohol would do to me, but honestly, I didn't care. All I wanted was to forget.

The thing with alcohol is, it completely takes over your body and mind. You aren't the same you when you're intoxicated. Your thoughts are still there, but they're clouded by this substance that is powerful enough to make you do things you'd never dream of doing while you're sober. That's the whole point of alcohol, to liven yourself up a little, to let go.

I had countless shots of whatever I could get my hands on, it didn't matter, all I wanted was to get fucked. That task had been successfully fulfilled, Matty and I both so drunk we probably thought if we tried hard enough, we could fly. We danced to the terrible techno music playing through the club speakers, neither one of us caring about how fucked we both looked.

Our dancing was more of a flailing of limbs mixed with swaying off beat to whatever song way playing, even if we hated it.

"I hate this song!" I yelled over the music.

"Me too!"

Despite the both of us agreeing on our dislike of the DJ's music choice, we still happily swung ourselves to the beat.

This is the kind of life I wanted to live. Happy, careless, carefree, able to be myself. Not that getting so drunk the next morning you'll wish you were in a coma is healthy, but it's a nice, happy getaway.

My body felt as if it were about to collapse if I danced any more, and I could see Matty felt the same. I grabbed his arm and pulled him off the dance floor, plopping down at the booth, breathless.

Matty looked over at me, sighing.

"Wanna go back to the flat? We don't have to dance and I have wine."

I nodded, stumbling to my feet, pulling Matty up and using him as a support.

We stumbled out of the club together, arms wrapped around each other's shoulders, hoping the other wouldn't pass out from exhaustion or intoxication.

"Matty look!" I gasped, pointing to a rosebush growing up the fence in someone's yard. "They're so pretty!" I slurred, swooning at the sight of the flowers.

"Guess I'm rubbing off on you a little, huh?" He laughs, elbowing my side playfully.

"Shut up!" I half yelled, probably waking half the neighborhood.

"Shhhh..." He pressed his hand to my mouth to shush me.

I giggled and we continued our walk back home, stumbling down the pavement, looking like idiots, happier than ever.

Matty turned the key in the door of his flat, pushing it open and pulling me inside.

We let go of each other's shoulders and he wandered into the kitchen, digging through the cupboards.