Rediscovery

It's the day after I talked to Gemma again. Today have to work at the library again.

I gather my bag and walk outside to the library building, short but wide as always, padded with different orange brick. I walk to the front of the librarian's desk already stacked with returned books. I lay my bag on the table taking a deep sigh. I stare around the walls of the building with my mind already relaxed.

Walking around the edge of the table my hands sweep on the dusty wood. Out of existence, Gemma jumps out under the desk.

"Raaah!" She whisper-yells.

"OH MY DEAR GOD!!!" My legs almost loose all nerve.

"Shhhhhhhhhh!" She says with her finger in contact to her lips.

"You dang near gave me a heart attack!" I say as she laughs her head off.

"Oh shut up." She sat on the stool swerving me a wheelie chair. "Here, sit your skinny ass on it"

"You better not pull out that chair when I'm about to sit down!"

"Oh whatever. Anyway I'll help you today."

"Do you even know how to sort out these books?"

"C'mon, I've been doing this job long before you came to this school."

"Yeah, okay okay."

_______________

Usually working at the library is slow work.

"I can't believe you live up with doing this every Thursday! Nobody is even here. That's exactly why I quit in the first place, it's too boring." Gemma ranted. "I mean I'm going to scream as loud as possible and no one will mind."

"No don't." I say.

"I will!"

"You won't."

"Watch me."

"Fine!" I watched her.

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK THIS PIECE OF SHIIIIIIIIIIT PLACE!"

A girl's voice rose from the corner behind a wall of books. I laugh.

"Hey, I'm reading here!" And old 'friend' of Gemma, Ava.

"Yeah, that's exactly what it sounds like Ava. I know that deep huffing and moaning is you reading with... um Harriet!"

"Yes?" I hear Harriet say under Ava.

"Sluts, you better get out of the library. That belongs in the teacher's bathroom, take that outside!" Gemma says in a stern voice.

The two girls get up slowly and quietly leave the building. I know they whisper to each other as they exit.

"That was pretty hot, I must admit." I say.

"Ha, it kinda was." Gemma laughs.

We admired the actual silence.

"You handled that really well, Gemma. Too well I think." I say.

"They've been doing that years ago. I got some practice escorting them out." She says.

"I thought you said nobody was here."

"Yeah, nobody was here."

"Fine, That makes sense. Anyway, I can't believe they made you feel so worthless about yourself."

"It's okay, those bitches with get it someday."

___________

We barely hear the bell ring over our obnoxious laughter.

"Gosh, please come here every Thursday." I say

"Sure, I'd love to." Gemma says getting up from her seat. "Sign me up first; I want the school to recognise me."

"The whole city recognises you." I say packing up my bag.

"You're such a freakin' charmer."

"Do you want to be my partner?"

"Oh John, I do!" She said in an old Marlyn Monroe voice.

"For like science!"

"Whatever, being with you is enough." Which she said sincerely.

"Score!" I whisper downwards lifting my bag on my back.

Gemma swings her bag behind her.

We say our goodbyes using our two finger salute.