Paper

Gemma turned to me as I was re-issuing Georgia's books. "Hey, remember when we were there last semester?" Pointing to a wide table. "Sorry about that."

Flashes of old memories screw around on my mind. "What's there to be sorry about? We're here now." I smile. "Those were great times, like when Jake was reading that stupid story book." I stamp the last book Georgia wanted handing it back.

Georgia pushed her glasses up her nose. Her soft nasally voice contributes to the noise (or lack there of) "Thanks-."

"It's not stupid..." Gemma and I hear in the corner of our ears startling us.

Gemma stood on the librarian's desk.

"You're not supposed to be doing that-." Georgia whispers, books already cradled in her arms, but no one paying attention.

"Yeah, Jake was reading that FUCKING stupid book!" By then Georgia left the room.

Gemma hops from her high angle.

"I hate you..." Jake walks out from behind where Ava and Harriet were making out.

"We're really finding a lot of surprises in that one spot." I whisper

"Oh definitely, it's marvellous what we encounter there, it's like the discovery channel!" Gemma says in a joking old manner.

We watch Jake exit the corner. "Why do you even have that?" I ask.

Jake looked at us "It's special to me, my grandma gave it to me before... she left."

I apologise. "Don't worry, I get it." He smiles standing still.

Gemma stared at me with a look of deep, deep judgement. "What, do also have a 'The Little Mermaid' book you don't like talking about?"

I answer, "No, but I understand sentimental value in a book. I quite explicitly remember you having a favourite as well."

"Fuck off..." She says.

"I may not have told to you this but, Paper Towns (the book) is the best and my absolute favourite creation (that's material) It's my first full novel I've ever read, and right after I turned ten (that's double digits, I was basically an adult!). When I read the first page instant gold! I can see all the characters and their amazing personalities and I was seriously entertained till the end. You'd understand right? I've read it basically every year at least once! I will never (in my entire life) give something that close to me." I say.

"Yeah, but it's basically MY favourite book... but not. The guy probably thought his first book wasn't good enough and did the whole story all over again, except worse."

It takes some time for me to say something back to her, it's the best thing I ever thought in my head. It wasn't the end-all comeback of all other comebacks, but perfect nonetheless in this situation. I look up outside the window, "I'm sure you really had that in mind when you practically..." but I can't say it, I don't wanna risk this second chance becoming yesterday's news,

"When you... what?" She says. I shake in my head in worried disapproval. She continues, "Just tell me! I'm no pussy. I won't hurt you for it in any way, shape, or form!" She turns jittery, both in cheekiness, and nervousness.

I take a deep breath. "Alright you asked for it." Right into her ear, I whisper the softest thing...

A face like she witness her parents doing it in her own bedroom sprouts too suddenly. It's the face you'll never forget, no matter how old you'll become. Jake looks at Gemma with a steel spine, but a wonky face.

I hear the loudest gasp to ever lay on this earth, the walls creek and crumble from the shock. And the gasp came right next to me... by Gemma. I can tell Jakes steel spine quickly turns wooden and wonky.

Jake does the best thing he could to break the moment. Two steps closer, "so you guys walking home? I'm going to-."

The most horrific roar, I'll probably ever hear spurs out by my co-librarian. She grabs a small (but hammering) paper back book raising it high with both arms.

"OH YOU FUCKING...!!!"