Look Who's Purging Now

My mom gives me a big hug on her way out the door, kissing my forehead.

"I'll be back soon. Love you. Stay safe."

"Love you, too, Mom."

The door closes, and moments later I hear the car start and the garage door close behind her. Mom had told me that her stay had been extended because of some "unforseen events"... meaning there's a solid fifty percent chance a certain demonic doppelganger messed with something. I sigh, knowing that these next few weeks were going to be insufferable. I decide to spend my first solo moments on the couch with a bowl of popcorn in my lap and Rick and Morty turned up on the TV while wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt. Nothing too flashy, just some quality relaxation.

During the commercials, I scrolled through my social media feed. There's only one picture that Markiplier posted today. It's a simple selfie in his recording room. As always, he looks perfect. Damn, I wish I looked that good all the time.

The lighting is minimal, mostly just focusing on his face. As I look at the picture, however, I see a ghost of a face standing slightly behind Mark and to his right. The shadows seem to bend underneath the face, leading me to believe that it has a body. Skeptical, I skim through the comments. All the fangirls would be screaming if they saw it – who doesn't want more Darkiplier?

I catch myself, thinking, Well, Mark pretending to be Darkiplier.

Nobody in the comments sees anything weird. The fangirls are acting normal, talking about how sexy Mark is or how much they love him. Hell, a few even asked when Dark would be coming back. I sigh, knowing this is just another one of Dark's tricks to make me think I'm going insane. Turning back to Tiny Rick, I shift my position on the couch, munching on more popcorn.

Halfway through the episode, the TV screen freezes up and glitches, making me groan.

"Dark Iplier," I say to the screen. "Now is not the fucking time. You can mess with my dreams, you can make me stab you. Don't mess with my TV."

I grab the remote and press a few buttons. The screen turns to static as two hands appear, seeming to bend the screen outwards. Soon, Dark emerges from it like he's walking out of clear jell-o, yet his suit's still immaculate as ever.

"It almost sounds like you're not happy to see me," he says, walking forward. I clutch my bowl of popcorn so it won't fall.

"Nuh-uh. Nope. Not while I have popcorn and quality programming. Now is a bad time. Now is the worst time," I say, shrinking back to steady the large bowl as he leans over me with his "charming" smile. He laughs, irritating me further.

"I just came to see how you were doing now that you're... alone," he coos.

"Do I need to Megalovania your ass?" I ask, Undertale playlist ready. 

"Oh, relax. You're always so tense when I'm around," he complains, standing upright and giving me a small smile.

Gee golly fucking gosh I wonder why, I think directly at him.

"I'm not that scary..." he says nonchalantly. " A m   I ? "

In a flash, Dark had appeared in front of me with his glossy, fully blackened eyes and small fangs bared in a sinister smile. My mind glitches in and out of existence. One moment I see my house. The next, I see mangled corpses piled in a corner and a crimson, dripping fluid painting the wall behind him. The corners of my vision darken for an instant, but I shake my head and blink rapidly, fighting off the drowsiness.

"No," I reply, glaring at him. "You're not actually that scary, now that I think about it." His smile falters, turning into more of a grimace. My bright smile seems to annoy him more. "Now, if you would kindly move, I was watching a show."