Forgotten Answers

The question caught me off guard, but a part of me knew – no – felt it coming. I still don't have a definite answer in mind. I haven't really taken an hour to just wonder how I feel about the demon staring me in the eyes. His expression is as stony as ever, and few would be able to see what's underneath, swimming in those pitch irises. Strangely, I can see something in them. Expectation, anxiety... desperation, almost – The latter is one I never would've thought would appear on such a cold person.

Then again, it's not like Dark is horrible. He's cold and usually fairly distant, but he's also good company. Yes, I've been harmed, but only when he perceived me as nothing more than an average human. Ever since I showed him that I'm more than that, that I'm a force to be reckoned with, Dark's been astonishingly respectful. Obviously there's still the bossiness, but it's validating to have someone so interested in me.

So, as I gaze into these onyx eyes, a sense of serenity washes over me. I feel, as ridiculous as it is, secure in his arms. The odd feeling that I'd had when Dark had kissed me before doesn't just bloom in my stomach, this time, but reaches its tendrils up to my chest, suffocating my heart. And suddenly, all at once, I'm hesitant to answer him for fear that I'll give the wrong answer and damage the insane companionship that we have.

Nevertheless, I open my mouth and try to explain my emotions:

"My feelings towards you are different than any that I've felt before, and I still can't explain them well. If the goal is to find out whether or not I hate you, the answer is a resounding no. There's no trace of that, anymore. I still haven't completely gotten used to you, but you're... familiar. Your presence is familiar to me, now – So much so that this house feels strange when you're not here.

If the goal is to discover whether or not I like you, then I guess the answer is a yes. Your company is enjoyable. Not to mention the fact that you have, actually, helped me discover sides of me that I didn't know exist. And ever since I proved to you that I'm not as weak a human as you thought, you've been more respectful... You've almost treated me as an equal, at times."

Dark stays silent after my answer, staring at me. The expectation has disappeared entirely, but mild anxiety and slight desperation remain. After a few more moments of silence, Dark accepts my answer, beginning to unravel his arms from around my waist so he can leave.

"Wait," I stop him.

His movements halt, his arms only slightly looser than they were before. With all my willpower, I'm able to ask him a question, as well.

"What do you think of me?"

For a moment, Dark simply stares at me with a blank expression and a look in his eyes that I can't quite read. Regret threatens to overwhelm me, as if it's saying "you'll only be disappointed by his answer". However, a larger part of me is truly curious. I do have a specific answer that I would like to hear – one about how he's found me interesting or different from other humans, how he has also found me enjoyable to spend time with.

Still, I have a feeling that none of those words will pass his lips, words fated to forever float in my mind, waiting to be spoken. Shoving those thoughts away, I wait for his answer.

"You're unlike any human I've encountered," he begins slowly, obviously trying to dance around what he's thinking. I let him, only planning to ask further if Dark gives too vague of an answer.

"Primarily, your mind is vastly different from those of other humans. It's more similar to mine, than anything else. I can read some of your mind with little difficulty, but most of it is still in the shadows."

The answer isn't satisfying, for some reason, though it's specific enough. I expect Dark to pull away, but he doesn't. Instead, he continues. His eyes travel to one of my hands and linger there, but they're hazy and unfocused, so I know he's too deep in thought to see.

"Honestly," he continues, more to himself, "I don't think I'll be disinterested even when I completely understand your mind. There's something else that keeps me tethered here."

Dark's eyes return to my own, seeing me but he continues to talk as if I'm not there. "And, if I am to lose interest when – or if – I figure you out, then I want parts of you to stay a mystery to me."

My chest flutters at his words, and I can feel my cheeks heating up again. Seeing the flush on my skin seems to snap him back to reality, making him realize that I had heard what he'd said. He sighs, then quickly presses his lips onto mine. For the second time, I can't help but kiss back. A warmth spreads through my chest. Dark's arms wrap around my waist tighter than before, and my hands loosely clench into fists. I'm pulled onto my toes because of the height difference, only making it more difficult for me to focus on reality.

Dark slowly breaks away from the kiss, and I feel like I've returned to Earth. When I open my eyes, Dark's looking at me differently. His gaze is still cold, but it's softer and seems almost compassionate. The usual look of analytical interest is replaced by one of slight longing and sadness.

"Unfortunately, I can't have you knowing any of these things."

Then, my vision darkens, and I find my body slouching onto Dark's chest. He catches me gently, whispering a final phrase into my ear, but I'm unconscious before he finishes.

I don't realize I had fallen asleep until I open my eyes. While thinking about what other demons are like, I had flopped onto my bed and closed my eyes. Suddenly, I feel a strange tiredness in my body, like I'd slept for too long. When I think about it, my sleep patterns have changed drastically since Dark appeared. However, the feeling is more than made up for by some kind of internal energy, as if my willpower alone is fueling my body.

Sitting up, I feel a familiar post-nap hunger. When I reach the kitchen, I find that there's already a bag of chips laying out on the counter, as if I had already planned to make myself a snack. Regardless, I grab the chips and an apple, beginning to eat both.

Dark stands in the living room, silently staring out of the window. He glances over at me for a moment, like he's waiting for me to do something. I give him a confused look and a short wave. Seemingly satisfied, he looks back out the window, leaving me thoroughly perplexed but ultimately too hungry to care.

As I sit in silence with him, I think to myself. There's something weird in my mind, like there's something important that I've forgotten. The gap is more fuzzy than anything, but I can't put my finger on when it was or what I'm forgetting, I realize. I finish the apple, frowning and placing my fingers on my temples. I furrow my brow, closing my eyes.

"What are you doing?" Dark questions. Opening my eyes, I see that he's looking in my direction with a confused gaze. I shrug.

"Thinking."

"About what?"

"I don't know."

The demon seems skeptical with my answer, but reluctantly leaves me to my thoughts. As Dark turns away, I close my eyes again.

What am I forgetting?

I hope you enjoyed this chapter of "I'm Here to Help You" as much as I enjoyed writing it. Comments and votes are super appreciated. Thanks for reading! ~Blue