Mind Reading

I open my eyes to a credits screen and a still black sky. The rain has stopped. The credits are for a different movie than the one I had initially started. Netflix probably just played it automatically. My head rests against the back of the couch, and my empty cup of tea sits beside me. As I stand and stretch, Dark's attention is drawn to me. I place myself on the couch, this time, next to him.

The next movie begins to play, and Dark wraps his arm around my waist to pull me to him. I'm too tired to resist, so I rest my head on his shoulder and curl my legs up onto the couch. My attention is hardly on the movie. I've already begun to contemplate Dark's thought process. I begin to bite my thumbnail in thought, now completely detached from reality. What does he think of me? Why did he care what I thought of him?

Thousands of answers flash by, some logical but unsound, others ridiculous but oddly sensical. My stream of thought comes to a screeching halt as I realize that Dark's turned to me and is watching me intently. I look up at him.

"What?" I ask.

"Your thoughts are moving so rapidly it's difficult to keep up," he says.

"I thought I told you not to... whatever." I decide it's not worth it to argue with him about listening to my mind. "Why were you staring at me this time?"

"I heard you getting quite close to figuring me out on a few occasions. I just wanted to see where you were going," he states. "Then again, you always deemed those reasons improbable or unthinkable. I'm beginning to doubt you'll understand without a blatant explanation."

"Mind telling me when I was getting close?" I ask hopefully. Dark raises an eyebrow, his silence denying my request. My expression falls. "Can't blame me for trying," I mumble.

"Why don't you think about other things, for a while?" Dark suggests. I eye him skeptically, surprised that I had actually gotten so close to figuring him out that he felt threatened.

Nonetheless, I shrug and comply. Why not?

"Alright then," I continue, "what would you prefer I think about?"

Dark hesitates.

"If you don't have an answer I'm just gonna go back to wondering what you meant. Now I have even more stuff to think about since apparently you really don't want me to find out," I say. "Besides, it's not like you have to listen."

"It's not as easy as you think," Dark replies. I give a confused look. "It's become a habit of mine to listen to people's thoughts. I gain information about them before they speak."

"Useful," I comment.

"Most of the time when I listen to your thoughts, it's completely unintentional. I merely become interested by overhearing them."

"Must be distracting, then."

"Very. Would you like to see what it's like?"

I nod eagerly. "Hell yeah."

Dark chuckles and snaps his fingers. Nothing feels too different for an instant, and then a wave of sound bombards my mind. I cringe at the sudden noise, then recognize the voice as Dark's. It's difficult to focus on my own thoughts, but I look over with surprise.

"What are you thinking about? There's so much noise I can't pick anything out," I say, rubbing my temples. Eventually, I'm able to register my thoughts and his, shoving his mind's business to the background.

"I think of many things. You must remember, [Y/N], that I'm not human. I can think more efficiently than they can."

I sigh and find myself getting used to the sound of his voice in the back of my mind fairly quickly. The constant drone has many thoughts, but I catch my own name within the chaos multiple times. I try not to think about it too much – just listening to the collage of voices. Then, just when I think I've been able to ignore his thoughts, my name begins popping up more and more. I don't move or shift, and I try to keep my thought pattern neutral, like I'm just watching the movie.