The Reward

{A/N} I highly recommend listening to The Adventure Zone podcast (it's made by the same people who made My Brother, My Brother, And Me). It was recommended to me by a friend of mine and I love it. It's hilarious and apparently gets a really good plot later on. Mkay that's it bye.

It's already been about four hours since I saw the death match with Dark, and I still can't stop thinking about it. I've stopped trying to get my chores done because every time I do, I can't help but think about how everything can become a murder weapon in the right – or wrong – hands. Washing dishes and handling knives is out of the option. Vacuums are good for bludgeoning as well as using their cords which can strangle and suffocate. The water in washing machines brings vivid images of drowning someone.

Instead, I attempt to distract myself with YouTube. I'm an escape artist, I think to myself with annoyance. I'm the master of escapism.

In my subscription feed, I'm surprised to see that Markiplier's videos are going up as normal. Then again, he did say that he liked to think of Dark and himself as different entities. It's weird having a demon with the face of one of your idols make you stab them and take you to Hell's Colosseum. Despite this, I'm still able to enjoy the video. When I finish, I resume binge watching all of Mark's FNAF videos. I don't quite remember which one I ended on, so I go to the first video of FNAF 1. It's great, as usual.

When I feel a bit more calm, I continue my chores, finishing them with only a little trouble. Then, having nothing else to do, I decide to text some of my friends. Mostly, we talk about memes and inside jokes. After a while, the conversation dies down and I'm back to boredom.

I grab my phone and scroll through every interesting app I have, trying to find something else to distract myself with: Social media, Wattpad, Webtoons, mobile games... nothing keeps me occupied. For about an hour I listen to The Adventure Zone on Spotify which luckily brings me to about 9 in the afternoon. Soon, I'll have the excuse of going to bed.

Then again, I think, Dark might fuck with my dreams so I might not even be able to escape these thoughts while I sleep.

Deciding to turn in early, I crawl into the bed and curl up into a ball, bringing the blankets up to my chin despite the warmth of the beginning of summer. The room gets colder and I know that tonight won't be peaceful. Before I fall asleep, I send a middle finger to the area from which the icy air emanates, earning a sharp frigid feeling to pierce through my right leg. I squeeze my eyes shut in pain.

When I open my eyes again, I know I'll see a brand new type of hell. This time, however, I see and feel nothing. It doesn't feel like I'm in a room or sitting or standing. I don't sense the presence of another object. All I know is that Dark is in the area with me.

"Dark, could we not, tonight? I'm tired and I don't need more of this. You already showed me Hell's Colosseum, so why are you gonna do this, too?"

His laughter is the only response I get. That is, until I'm blinded by bright light which dims into one of a small lamp. We're inside of someone's apartment. I freeze, wondering if they'll call the cops for me breaking in.

"What the hell are you doing?" I whisper to Dark, who I can now clearly see. The suited man motions for me to follow him, and I reluctantly oblige, letting him guide me down a hall and to a bedroom. There's a man sleeping on the bed. He shivers, then shoots up as if waking from a horrible nightmare. After seeing Dark, he recoils, most likely having seen the demon in his nightmare as well.

He glances at me with mild curiosity, but immediately turns a fearful gaze back to Dark. I don't mind not being recognized. I would hope Dark wouldn't put me in some random guy's dreams.

Dark smiles at the man, the air in the room getting colder. Luckily, I had gone to bed in sweatpants and a long-sleeved t-shirt.

Suddenly, Dark makes some kind of Jedi use-the-force-Luke motion and lifts the man in the air without touching him. The man makes strangled noises as the amount of air let into his lungs grows smaller. Then, the demon turns to me, handing me a medium sized knife. I cautiously take it.

"Why don't you save him? Give him a... reward.

The man most likely thinks that this means stabbing Dark. Unfortunately, I understand what the message really was. I'm supposed to give him the reward that Contestant Four got. I take a shaky breath and walk forward.

"You... can't expe–ct them... to save me? Give... me a better sho–t than that." Though the man's breathing is labored, I can still make out the insult. "They're just a... hel–pless little kid."

At the word "helpless" my grip on the knife tightens again. Something... changes. My head quickly twitches to the side, then I appear to regain composure. My eyes flare with a murderous contempt. I smile brightly, walking forward towards the man suspended in midair. In one swift movement, I stab the blade into his left thigh and pull down, ripping through muscle and causing a steady river of blood to rush down his thigh and shin, coating it in garnet. He screams in pain, but my sickening smile doesn't falter.

Something's gone. A piece of me is missing. It's like I lost something when I heard him insult me like that. I back away from him, going back to my original position. He looks at me with pleading eyes, begging me to help him.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I say, innocently. "I'm just a 'helpless kid'. You can't expect me to save you." As the light in his eyes dims from severe blood loss and lack of oxygen, my smile widens. Only when his body hits the floor does my common sense return.

"Oh shit– OH FUCK!" I shout dropping to my knees. "FUCKING CHRIST! I JUST KILLED A GUY! Oh shit, I just killed a guy. Oh fucking Christ no. I'm dead. I'm fucking dead. Well, not as dead as he is, but still pretty dead." I begin to pace back and forth in a panic, wondering if anyone will help me hide the body.

I blink, and suddenly I'm back in my room, still holding a bloodied knife. Dark takes tainted blade and I provide no resistance but quickly turn to him.

"Please tell me I didn't just kill a guy. Please tell me that was just another nightmare. I can't go to prison." I've begun to hyperventilate, ideas of how to lie my way out of this flying through my mind.

"You, [Y/N]," Dark says, pointing the knife towards my chest and leaning down so that we're eye level, "have just committed murder."