Impudence

I don't remember falling asleep, but I feel myself waking up. Luckily I was able to rest for a few hours without any nightmares. I open my eyes and see Dark sitting in my desk chair, facing me. Though he's looking at me, he's not really looking at me... not my face, anyway. He's probably doing some demon stuff where he can see my soul, or something. Realizing I'm awake, his eyes focus on my face.

"Morning," I say dryly. I swing my legs out of bed, looking at the digital clock beside my bed. 10:00AM. Must not've slept for long.

I stand up, then immediately sit back down, clutching my temples. A throbbing pain shoots through my skull, making me gasp and wince. "Jesus fuck!" I hiss. It seems like something is screaming at me, telling me something over and over.

After a few minutes, the pain subsides, leaving a dull ache in the back of my head. Now that the voice is quieter, I can make out its eerie whispers. When I hear them, it makes me feel sick with remembrance.

'Am I? Am I? Am I?'

My breathing gets heavy, and it takes all of my willpower not to let the voices get the best of me. I stare blankly ahead of me, gripping the blankets underneath me. Dizziness tries to blur my vision and darken the world, but I fight it off. Focusing on remaining conscious – and somewhat sane – I slowly stand, making my way to the bathroom off of my room. When I arrive, I look in the mirror, holding onto the sides of the sink for support. What I see surprises me.

Usually, a lack of sleep makes me look disheveled and messy. Now, I simply look menacing. There are hardly visible dark circles surrounding my eyes, giving me a grave appearance. My lips are set into a straight, serious line and appear incapable of smiling. To test that theory, I smile. It's uncomfortable, for some reason, but it looks just like before. The smile shows near-perfect teeth, dimples, and smile creases around the eyes. My face brightens, but my [E/C] eyes remain exhausted, dull, and pained. It's almost as if they're empty holes. I stop smiling. Immediately, my face returns to the somber glower I had before.

Dark is standing in the doorway again, watching me. "What do you want, now?" I ask without looking at him, beginning to brush my teeth.

"Oh, nothing," he replies, still staring at me. I frown.

"I call bullshit," I mumble through the toothpaste. After, I wash my face continuing, "Well, thanks for letting me sleep the rest of the night, I guess. Then again, it's your fault I was awake and panicking in the first place, so..."

I finish washing my face, then move onto my hair. Fortunately, I'm not like the majority of people I know who spend hours on their appearance. Twenty minutes is all I need.

Dark speaks up. "I merely gave you an idea."

"Exactly. I've rarely ever wondered about being insane before. This–" I point both hands to either side of my head, "–this all started when you waltzed on into my life." I drop my arms back down to my sides. "If you would just waltz back on out, that'd be appreciated."

"You're life is astronomically more interesting now that I'm here – You were horribly bored before," Dark smirks.

I sigh because, as usual, he's right. Before this demon came, I was bored out of my mind. In all honesty, I was hoping something– anything interesting would happen. Unfortunately, my wish was granted.

Removing myself from my thoughts, I finish dealing with my hair and walk out of the bathroom. Dark lets me pass this time, but watches me as I go out. Ignoring his gaze, I head downstairs and into the kitchen.

I'm too lazy to actually cook, so I just make myself a bowl of cereal and sit on the couch. I gaze out of the window absentmindedly for a while before deciding to watch YouTube on my phone. I go back to the second video Markiplier had made yesterday, enjoying it until my screen glitched and YouTube crashed.

"Goddammit, Dark," I sigh. A text notification pops up. It's from one of my school friends, Masson – Not someone I'm particularly close to, but a decent friend, nonetheless.

Masson: hey, I was wondering if you wanted to hang out with paska and I at their house today. we're gonna have a sleepover

I'm better friends with Paska than I am with Masson, so they probably told him to text. Deciding that it'd be a good idea to get out of the house for a bit, and Paska only lives a few blocks away, I decide to accept the invitation.

Me: yeah sure. when should i get there?

Masson: about 4

Me: mkay. see you guys then

Masson: see ya

Before putting away my phone, I decide to check Instagram. Markiplier posted a few selfies with Amy and Chica, Jacksepticeye posted a cute pic with Wiishu, Crank Gameplays had a story with the dog he's taking care of... Simple things that make me feel less insane. Of course, that's no good, so the app immediately crashes. I groan, finishing my cereal and washing the bowl in the sink.

"Really, Dark – you're no fun," I complain. "Is this your plan to drive me crazy? Just bore me to death?"

He rolls his eyes, walking over to me. "No, but I can't have you enjoying too many moments of sanity, or you'll destroy all the work that I've done."

I sigh, turning off the water and heading back over to the couch. I slouch against the side, resting the back of my head on the couch's arm and letting my legs fill the seats. My gaze rests blankly on the ceiling, eyes distant. A gray-skinned figure appears, blocking my view of the white surface.

"Who were you texting?"

"Jesus Christ – You're like my mom whenever she sees me on my phone at night."

"Answer the question."

"Why do you need to know?" I glare at him.

His eyes don't move from mine, making me uncomfortable. Suddenly, thoughts of my message with Masson surface in my mind. I quickly shove them out of my mind, but not quickly enough. Dark had already gotten all the information he wanted.

"Who's Masson?"

"A friend from school."

"You're not leaving the house."

"Yes, I am. I deserve a break from you," I say with finality, turning away from him. The throbbing in the back of my head surges, causing me to sit up and double over. The question – 'Am I?' – rings in my ears until tears come to my eyes.

"I've been patient with you, [Y/N], but I am reaching my wit's end." I remain silent, causing the pain to grow even more.

"Ahh! I'm sorry– I'm sorry!" I finally shout, giving in to the pain. Immediately, the throbbing diminishes, returning to the dull ache.

"I'm sorry" you think you deserve an apology, I can't help but think. Growling at my impudence, Dark's eyes go black and the pain returns, worse than before. Suddenly, he's in front of me and grabs my throat. Lightheadedness follows instantly.

"I told you already – I can't control my thoughts!" I croak.

"You had better learn to," the demon growls in my ear.

I'm too dizzy to try to escape, so I simply let it happen. There's nothing I can do. That is, until he lets me go and I fall back onto the couch. I welcome the air that rushes into my lungs, coughing and gasping. After regaining my breath and clear vision, I turn to look at Dark. He's disappeared, which isn't too unusual. A glance at my phone reminds me of the sleepover. Though hesitant, I decide to follow through. If Dark kills me for it then so be it. I'm not about to let him control me that easily.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter of "I'm Here to Help You" as much as I enjoyed writing it. Comments and votes are super appreciated. Thanks for reading! ~Blue