Homicide and Sugar

The time for Paska and Masson's sleepover rolls around, and I still haven't seen Dark. Though most would assume that he's probably given up or doesn't care enough to stop me, I'm not so optimistic. His absence only puts me on edge. I grab my bag and head out the door, the whispers in the back of my mind quieting as I step outside the house. Relieved, I continue down the street toward Paska's house. I quickly glance back towards my house. For an instant, in the window, I see a shadowy form flicker. I shake my head and forget him, quickening my pace down the street.

Another person passes beside me on the sidewalk – instantly, the whispers return, louder than before. They're not so loud so that I can't think, but it's as if a small group of people walk behind me, asking 'Am I? Am I?'

After a deep breath, I do my best to ignore the voices.

When I reach Paska's house, I tap on the door lightly. Paska appears in the doorway, smiling.

"Hey, [Y/N]! Glad you could make it!" I grin and nod.

"I am, too. It's good to see you again."

They step aside and welcome me in. I see Masson sitting on the sofa, waiting for Paska to return to the video game they were playing. I walk over, sitting on the ground near him.

"Oh, Cuphead. Nice choice," I comment on their choice of game.

"Yeah. We were thinking that whenever one of us dies, the one who isn't playing takes their controller," Masson explains. I nod.

Paska returns, sitting on the ground next to me. I let them have the first turn along with Masson. During "Clip Joint Calamity", Masson dies, his ghost resurrected by Paska. I quickly grab the controller, picking up from where he left off. Paska and I finish the match.

The entirety of the game, it's mostly just Masson and I who switch back and forth, because of Paksa's talent when it comes to video games.

When we finally reached King Dice at the end of the game, I've completely zoned out. Extreme tunnel vision has overwhelmed me, and I don't notice anything outside of the screen. It's Paska and I playing. My fingers move of their own accord, masterfully dodging every attack better than Paska himself. When Paska dies, I barely notice, quickly saving him and continuing as if nothing had happened.

"Whoa, [Y/N], where's that talent been all this time?" Masson remarks, nudging my shoulder. I grab his arm tightly, making him wince. Blinking, I feel like I've woken up and quickly let go of his arm. "And where'd that strength come from. Last time we arm wrestled you were hardly a challenge."

"Sorry. Just zoned out for a while there," I say, avoiding both questions.

We quickly finish the game, but I die on purpose so that I don't raise too much suspicion. Afterward, we decide to head up to Paska's room to go to bed. Obviously, we don't actually try go to sleep for a while, but eventually we do. Paska felt bad about sleeping in a bed while Masson and I were on the floor, so we all placed our sleeping bags next to each other on the ground. I'm in the middle, Paska's on my right and Masson's on my left.

I sigh and close my eyes, welcoming what should be a peaceful night away from Dark. As I begin to fall asleep, the whispers in the back of my mind get louder. I snap my eyes open in an attempt to quiet them. It only works somewhat. They seem to be connected to fatigue and sleep.

I last for about 45 minutes before my tired eyes close against my will. All the while, 'Am I? Am I?' swells to a deafening volume. No longer able to fight sleep, I give in, surrendering to the comfortless darkness.

When I'm able to open my eyes again, I don't see Paska's dim room. Instead, I'm in a large cement room, with Dark standing across from me.

"Can't you just leave me alone for one night?" I snap. His laughs only fuel my rage.