Partial Amnesia

After nearly an hour of trying to remember, I give up on whatever it was. The spot remains hazy, but I soon forget that even it exists. Dark is just as quiet as usual, but it's a different type of quiet. Every now and then, he'll glance at me for an instant. It seems like he's having some kind of internal conflict. Finally, unable to watch him struggle any longer, I look over at Dark.

"What do you need?"

"Nothing."

"Oh, horse shit. I know you well enough to know that something's bothering you."

"It's nothing."

"I've asked you before not to lie to me, Dark. If you want to keep secrets, that's fine... And, if you ever do want to talk about it, I'd be willing to listen."

Our eyes meet for an instant in the window's reflection, and I have some kind of... flashback? Dark's head was on my shoulder, and he was holding me in his arms. The vision ends just as quickly as it started, however, and I'm left with the same feeling as before – the feeling that I'm forgetting something important.

Dark sighs, turning to me. "Yes, I am bothered by something. It's not your concern."

Why do I have the feeling that's another lie?

Needless to say, I nod and drop the subject, respecting his privacy. I can't force him to tell me – Well, I can, but I won't.

"Alright, Dark."

I go to my room and throw on some clothes: dark denim jeans, an ash-colored sleeveless T, and a midnight hoodie. A usual, when I grab my stuff and rush to the door, Dark appears in front of me. As he wraps his arms around my waist as he's done so many times before, I'm reminded again of the same time when his head was on my shoulder... We were in the kitchen and I was leaning against its island by the sink.

Shaking the weird thought from my head, I look up at Dark. "If you're so worried that someone's gonna kiss or kill me or something, why don't you just go with me?"

Dark looks at me with mild annoyance. "I told you; I dislike going outdoors."

"Yeah, well so do I. But it's better than just sitting inside all day," I say with a light shrug. "I'll wait outside for five minutes while I figure out what I want to do. You can decide whether you want to come or not."

I plant a brief kiss on his lips and walk out the door, leaning against the doorframe. While scrolling through Instagram, I find an ad for a nearby movie theater. As I prepare to buy one ticket for myself, the door of the house opens. Dark is revealed wearing a plain black t-shirt and black pants. My eyes scan over him quickly, unused to seeing him in anything besides his gray suit.

"Are we going," he asks, "or are you going to stand there and ogle over me all day?"

I roll my eyes at his comment, buying a secondary ticket online. Then, I begin to walk away, before a strong arm pulls me back.

"Before we head out," Dark turns me around so that I face him, "I'm not letting you go with that poor excuse of compensation."

Before I can protest, he's placed his cold lips on mine. I relent, deciding that it's no use to try and stop him. When he finally breaks away, I have two questions for him:

"Hey, Dark? Two quick things: Will people think you're Markiplier? I mean, to the untrained eye you guys are nearly identical."

"No one will notice," he comforts. "They'll think I seem familiar, but they won't realize who I appear to be."

"Awesome," I say. "Second: Could you please not kiss me in public? I don't want people thinking you're my boyfriend, or anything."

At this request, Dark chuckles, holding me tighter. "And why's that? It's not like I'd let you gain a significant other, [Y/N], so it doesn't really matter what people think."

I scowl at him, crossing my arms. "So I'm assuming that's a 'no'?"

The demon smirks and places another kiss on my forehead, "Be grateful I'm outside."

Be grateful I don't kick you in the balls, I think, pulling away from his hold.

"C'mon, let's go," I say begrudgingly.

Dark follows me in the opposite direction of the shopping block, towards the main Starbucks of the neighborhood and the store where I got my pocketknife. I have that knife with me, but I probably won't use it... Not today, at least.

We stop at a small cafe, and I grab some iced tea. Dark sits next to me in front of the windows, at the high tables in the back of the cafe. Not interested in "ingesting human nutrients" he decided to observe the people there.

"Are you actually hungry?" he finally asks. I shake my head.

"No. I haven't had the largest appetite, recently. I just like the flavor."

When I finish, we catch the bus to the movie theater. I had hardly noticed but, the entire ride, Dark had his left arm wrapped around my waist. The ride was long, so I had unintentionally rested my head on his shoulder. Dark didn't tense, but simply pulled me closer to him, gripping my waist tighter than before.

As we enter the theater, I show my digital tickets and we're allowed inside. I grab a small box of popcorn, then we enter the dimly-lit room. I had picked a horror movie, deciding that though Dark would be unimpressed, he still might enjoy it. We pick a seat in one of the back rows so we can talk without creating a disturbance. The theater begins to darken further as the movie begins.

"A movie, [Y/N]?" Dark questions. "Awfully date-like, isn't it?"

I blush lightly, glad that the darkened room conceals my face.

"You do realize that I still have perfect vision in the dark, correct?"

Fuck.

"It's not meant to be a date," I protest. "I just wanted to see a movie. I was about to buy my ticket before I even knew you were coming."

Dark gives a low chuckle, giving me a sly look. I don't have time to process it before he swiftly picks me up and places me in his lap. My legs swing to his right, and his left arm supports my back and wraps around my torso. The man's right arm drapes over my legs and meets with his left hand. As my face quickly reddens, Dark chuckles and leans into my neck. Cold air flows from his mouth to my skin, accompanying a few light kisses on the crook of my neck.

"What the hell, Dark?" I whisper harshly, shivering and attempting to pull away from him. The demon only laughs again, arms refusing to budge.

"I've heard that this isn't unusual for people on dates," he teases.

"I told you: This isn't a... Oh, fuck it."

Eventually, I stop struggling. I simply cross my arms and pay attention to the movie. Soon, his kisses cease and Dark grows content to simply rest his head on my shoulder.

The movie is fairly boring. Manufactured blood and guts, artificial screams, no real stakes – It's all fake. I sigh, mind beginning to wander. I don't realize that Dark had decided to read my thoughts instead of watch the movie until he speaks up:

"I know you're bored, [Y/N]."

Not having heard him speak for nearly half an hour, his voice startles me. I turn to him, finding that he's gazing at me with glossy eyes.

"Would you like to go see some real entertainment?"

I know what he means: The Arena. With a final disinterested glance back at the horror movie, I give a single nod. He places a hand under my chin and I close my eyes as our lips meet. When I open them, we have front row seats again. Unfortunately, I'm still held in place on his lap.

"Can I sit by myself, now?" I ask with mild annoyance.

"What do you think?" Dark teases, tilting his head to the side. I sigh, turning my attention to the terrified contestants.

Real bloodshed, I think. How romantic.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter of "I'm Here to Help You" as much as I enjoyed writing it. Comments and votes are super appreciated. Thanks for reading! ~Blue