The Unanswered

I don't realize I had fallen asleep until I open my eyes. While thinking about what other demons are like, I had flopped onto my bed and closed my eyes. Suddenly, I feel a strange weakness in my body, like I hadn't slept in forever. When I think about it, my sleep patterns have changed drastically since Dark appeared. However, the weakness is more than made up for by some kind of internal energy, as if my willpower alone is fueling my body.

Sitting up, I feel a familiar post-nap hunger. When I reach the kitchen, I find that Dark had just been out. As I prepare a small snack, he reappears. Looking over, I ask a question I've been meaning to for a while, now.

"Hey, Dark." The man turns to me. "Where do you go when you're not here?"

"I have business elsewhere, occasionally," he responds.

"Are you working on turning someone else insane, too," I joke as I lean forward onto the island where the sink sits, "or are you only after their soul?"

Dark suddenly appears in front of me, leaning over the opposite side of the island. Our faces are inches apart, and goosebumps proceed to race down my arms – an extremely obvious reaction, as I'm dressed in a short sleeve t-shirt.

"You say that like I'd be cheating on you," he teases back. A scorching red rises to my cheeks. Dark laughs as he continues. "But no, I'm not visiting anyone else. I prefer to work on one person at a time. It allows me to focus on that person's traits and mindset."

After a brief moment of locking eyes, Dark stands up straight, giving me room to breathe. I sigh in relief, still becoming lightheaded when he does that. You'd think I'd be used to that, by now, I think.

"Why do you still flirt with me?" I ask him. "I don't see any practical reason to do so."

Dark chuckles, turning to me again. "I find your discomfort and flustered state amusing. My charm may not have worked to get your soul, but it still succeeds in entertaining me."

I give him a slight glare, but I'm not too angry. I would do the same thing, if I had that kind of power. Sighing, I put my arms onto the counter and rest my head on my forearms. Dark moves behind me, placing his hands on my waist. Though I have the mental urge to tense at his touch, my body doesn't, letting his hands rest on me.

"Your annoyed disposition is also enjoyable," he adds.

"I'm glad you find pleasure in it," I state dryly.

"I do have my own question for you, [Y/N]."

Dark's hands turn me so that I'm facing him, then wrap themselves around my waist. My heartbeat quickens, and I immediately notice that I'm trapped. With the kitchen island behind me I can't move back, and Dark's arms prevent me from moving to either side. The demon smirks knowingly, aware of my restricted movement. I swallow hard as he leans closer, then place my hands – which are balled into anxious fists – on his chest to give me room to breathe.

"How, exactly, did you manage to evade my charm?" Cold breath dancing across my neck would be enough to cause me to shiver, but Dark's low, almost growling, tone is almost enough to make me tremble. My own breathing becomes shaky.

I'm not completely sure why Dark is so curious, but he's definitely hellbent on getting an answer. As I remain silent in confusion and embarrassment, his grip on my waist grows painfully tighter, pushing me closer to him. I let out a small gasp.

"I'm waiting for an answer, [Y/N]." Dark snaps my thoughts from his constricting arms to his baritone voice. "You don't want me to force one out of you."

As surprising as it is that Dark's so frustrated because of his failed attempt to charm me, I shove those thoughts aside and muster an honest answer:

"I just reminded myself that you were messing with me," I begin. "I was completely aware of what you were doing, so it was just a matter of making sure I remembered that. Then again, I'm sure other people have done that..."

I begin to trail off, swimming in my own thoughts. Someone probably has done what I did, so why did it work for me and not them? Why was I able to resist?

Then, I remember my initial questions.

"Why are you so frustrated about it? Why do you care so much?"

Dark sighs heavily into my shoulder, lips resting against the crook of my neck. The sensation causes my stomach to twist. Still, I don't tense under his weight leaning against me. My fists have loosened, resting gently against Dark's chest. Lulled into an odd state of security, I rest my forehead on the demon's shoulder, noticing that his suit is much silkier than I previously suspected.

"It's merely... odd..." Dark breathes, voice still low but less frustrated and more exhausted. I feel a pang in my chest at hearing him so despondent so suddenly. I stay silent as he continues.

"It's odd that you were able to resist, but even odder that I wasn't. No one has been able to fight my charm. I hardly had to work to get humans – and other demons, for that matter – to do as I say. The fact that I'd taken as long as I had and still wasn't able to turn you to my side... Not to mention what's happening to me..."

My breathing has returned to normal, as well as my heartbeat. The heat on my cheeks remains, but it's not intense. It's more of a comfortable warmth. Dark's arms are still firmly wrapped around me, but it's not painful or harsh. Now, he's holding onto me rather than trapping me.

"Why do I care so much?" he finally laughs humorlessly. "...I don't know."

The phrase seems unfamiliar to him. He rarely has to say it, after all. I guess being a demon gives him an abundance of knowledge. Dark speaks again:

"I have another question for you."

I wait patiently, turning my head slightly.

"How do you feel about me?"

I hope you enjoyed this chapter of "I'm Here to Help You" as much as I enjoyed writing it. Comments and votes are super appreciated. Thanks for reading! ~Blue