Excitement

Though I could probably ask Dark their names, I've decided to number the contestants so as not to get attached:

Contestant One sprints towards the person next to them, Contestant Two, and tackles them to the floor. One of the people who had been trying to make allies, Contestant Three, backs away from the bloody fistfight and makes their way toward the person on the ground, Contestant Four. Contestant Four merely waits for them to approach, then grabs their arm, twisting it behind them painfully. It pops out of its socket audibly, and Contestant Three collapses to the ground, screaming in agony. Four then sits on Three's chest, gripping their throat to block airflow.

Contestants Five and Six move towards each other to ally, making their way towards Contestant Seven and easily overtake them. The moment Seven has collapsed, Contestant Eight jumps onto an unprepared Five's back, snapping their neck. Six, unprepared to fend for themself, runs away before Five's eyes that soon glass over. Eight, not wanting Six to get away, sprints after them and tackles them, Six's head hitting the concrete and nearly knocking them unconscious.

Eight drags Six over to the flaming ring around them, pushing their head into the tongues of fire. Six begins to scream combustable murder, the skin on their face slowly charring then beginning to peel back.  Eight leaves their body where it is, letting their face slowly be burned even after their death.

Contestants Nine and Ten have begun killing each other, having bloody fistfight in the center of the arena. Currently, Ten is bludgeoning Nine slowly with their fists clasped together. They push Nine's nose inwards, and Nine slowly stops moving, a dark, thick, stream pouring out of the corner of their mouth.

Ten and Eight engage, rolling along the floor. Eight straddles Ten, digging their fingernails into Ten's neck and drawing blood. Standing up quickly and tightening their grip, they rip out a chunk of Ten's throat. The breathless contestant writhes on the floor, gasping and gagging like a fish out of water while clawing at their neck. After a few minutes, they stop moving.

One has now moved towards Eight, attempting to sneak up behind them. Eight, sensing movement behind them, turns towards One and punches them in the face. One stumbles back, giving Eight just enough time to grab their shoulders and swing them towards the flaming ring. One's entire body ignites in the unearthly flame, petrifying them as they burn.

With One out of the way, Eight heads towards Four, who has returned to their sitting position. Four remains seated. Not having seen what Four had done to Three, Eight believes that this will be an easy kill. They lunge towards Four to tackle them to the ground. Four quickly turns towards Eight and rolls onto their back, kicking Eight in the chest. Eight, though the wind is knocked out of them, manages to stop themselves from flying into the fire. The moments' hesitation allows Four to rush forward, delivering a low, swinging kick to Eight's legs. Their head's contact with the ground allows a loud 'crack' to resound through the arena.

Four rolls the struggling body over, then snaps Eight's neck. After checking for a pulse and finding none, Four returns to their seat.

"Congratulations, contestant. You are the winner."

Four, obviously still skeptical about the situation, does nothing.

"Here's your reward."

With a quick slash, a large ax swings from the ceiling, cleanly slicing off Four's head. It falls to the side, their body slumping slightly, though it doesn't change much since they had already been slouching.

I feel a cold hand place itself on my back. I jump slightly, then turn towards Dark who gives me a large grin.

"I told you it'd be better."

Looking down at my hands, I realize that they're shaking – not with fear or disgust, but with excitement. I can tell Dark is fully aware of this and loving every second of it. I clasp my hands together and put them in my lap. I look down, partially ashamed of how much I enjoyed the gruesome display and... possibly wanted to be able to feel the thrill of taking someone else's life.

"I won't verbally admit to anything because you can read my mind, anyways," I grumble, slightly embarrassed. Dark's smile widens. "In all honesty, I guess Four did receive a reward."

"How so?"

"Well, first off, all of the other 'contestants'' deaths were far slower and more painful. Four got a fairly quick and painless death. Also, they don't have to deal with the guilt of killing another person. No average human would be able to cope with that burden on their conscience," I explain. "It's not that bad of a fate."

Dark turns to the corpses in the arena thoughtfully. "I suppose you're right."

I blink, and we're back in my house on the couch, Dark's hand still on my back. For once, I'm not annoyed. Though it was completely unasked for, I think, the experience wasn't that bad. I sit, still staring at my hands and remembering how nonchalant and unfeeling I was during the ordeal. The fuck is wrong with me? 

Looking back up at the television, I see Look Who's Purging Now resume. We had left it right before the bloodiest part. Though I usually enjoy it, I feel nothing now. It's not interesting or realistic, and doesn't give the same thrill of seeing real people murder each other without hesitation.

"I guess you're right," I say, reaching for the remote to change the channel. "This is pretty boring." Dark chuckles beside me.

I look through Netflix and Hulu for something to watch, preferably gory or grotesque. I scroll through tons of horror movies, but none are even close to what I'm looking for. The special effects are lame, the acting isn't real enough, and it's all too dramatic. What I think really effects me, however, is that there's never anything really at stake. No one's life is on the line. No one will actually die.

Sighing, I turn to Dark, who has gone back to simply staring at me. "What the hell did you do to me, just now?" He raises an eyebrow. "I could barely stand to watch a horror movie before, but now none of them are frightening or even close to how excited I was watching those people in the arena. What did you do?" Another laugh resounds from him.

"You've found something you actually enjoy. You're not like other humans, [Y/N]. What person in their right mind would've enjoyed a display like that?" I put my head in my hands, trying to maintain my sanity.

"I can't go insane. I have stuff to do. I've got a life to live. Stop. Just fucking stop." I can't just jeopardize my reputation and throw away all of my potential on some whim. This is probably just a phase. I'll just get a therapist. That'll tighten some of these loose screws.

"It's already much too late for that," Dark whispers to my idea, leaning close to my left ear. The feeling of his breath on my neck causes goosebumps to rise. "It's been too late for a long time. You're far past saving." I shake my head, closing my eyes.

"I don't know what you're talking about. I'm just a regular teen going through some kind of morbid phase. This isn't permanent. I'm not going insane. I'm perfectly normal," I reason.

"Keep telling yourself that. See where it gets you."

With that, he's gone. I'm sitting alone on my couch with a list of partially watched horror movies on the television screen.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter of "I'm Here to Help You" as much as I enjoyed writing it. Comments and votes are super appreciated. Thanks for reading! ~Blue