prologue

It was four in the morning.

After lying in his bed for hours tossing and turning, a frustrated Draco Malfoy threw on some clothes and—as quietly as he could—maneuvered his lanky frame out of his bedroom window.

He had done this many times before. The routine was etched into his brain: find the loose part of the gutter, grip it tight (whilst silently willing it to not break off), and swing down carefully onto the porch rail. From there, he would make his way off the porch, past the gates, and into the night.

That particular night, he didn't know where he was going. There were many options, of course—he could attempt to sneak into a bar, or go to an all-night diner.

He liked to go to relatively quiet places where he could think.

Underneath the groomed blonde hair and behind those drowsy gray eyes, his mind was alive with ideas and feelings that he could never bring himself to speak.

All his life, he kept to himself. He guarded his deep thoughts with walls he constructed. Walls so heavily protected, that even his family couldn't break through.

Family. Draco used that term loosely. The Malfoy's were one of the wealthiest and most important (according to his parents, of course) families in the United Kingdom.

His father was always away on business, trying to rake in more money that they didn't even need in the first place. His mother didn't work; she didn't need to. All she did was dry out their wine cellar, and bought clothes she didn't even need in the first place.

Together, they would gossip, make fools out of people below them, and ignore their only son—Draco—who firmly believed they didn't even want him in the first place. Draco won't give a single soul the key to the inside of his brain, and he would completely explode at anyone who tried to snatch it from him.

Not many people were out on that chilly October night. He thought bitterly about how they were all probably curled up in their beds in a deep and restful sleep.

The only souls he passed were either stumbling out of bars intoxicatedly, or were taxi drivers waiting on the sides of streets—likely there to take said drunks back home for the night.

Draco came across a diner he'd regularly venture into when sleep wouldn't overtake him. Sighing and deciding that he had no interest in going elsewhere, he walked inside.

It was no different than usual; the same middle-aged woman giving him the same nod as he sat down at the same booth and thought about the same thoughts that plague him almost nightly.

The middle-aged woman, Bonnie, brought Draco his usual order of plain, decaffeinated coffee. He slid her some coins while giving her the usual weak smile. Bonnie smiled in return, patted him softly on the shoulder, and went back to wiping down the counter.

Draco liked Bonnie, she didn't try to make conversation. She didn't pry into his personal life like others would. They quietly went through the same routine, neither pushing nor breaking the boundaries of Draco's comfort zone.

He looked down at his phone.

04:34 AM
October 24, 2017

No new notifications, not that he was surprised. He considered texting Blaise, one of his preferred acquaintances that he only knew because of his mother's close friendship with Blaise's.

Draco decided against it, not only because he likely wouldn't have been awake at that hour, but also because he didn't care for the company.

A part of him wished he had someone to call a true friend, but another part of him squashed that desire quickly.

After downing the last of his coffee in a single gulp, he stood. Once out in the crisp morning air, he took the route to the park instead of the usual way home. Here he let the deep thoughts truly overtake him.

-

Draco made three entire laps around the small park before determining that he should use the bathroom and start home. He reached the men's' bathroom and pushed the door open.

He was greeted by the unmistakeable stench of a public restroom, and something else—presumably urine. He found his guess was correct when his shoes began sticking to the floor.

After doing what he needed to do at one of the less putrid looking urinals, he washed his hands. Before heading out the door, though, something etched onto a stall door caught his eye. Draco examined it closer.

He discovered that several people had illegibly written their usernames down on a list titled 'Snapchat' in big, bold letters. He scoffed at what a stupid idea it was, but after a few seconds of contemplation, he dug around in his jacket until he pulled out a marker. The ink was almost gone, but it would have to do.

Directly under the username most recently written, he wrote his own. It was much larger than the rest and written as best as he could possibly manage, given the state of the marker.

Part of him wished that someone would find it and he'd find a true friend—maybe he'd actually have someone on his friends list that wasn't there simply because his parents forced him to talk to them

Part of him wished that someone would find it and he'd find a true friend—maybe he'd actually have someone on his friends list that wasn't there simply because his parents forced him to talk to them. The other part of him stomped all over that aspiration and persuaded him that he was writing his username down as a joke.

He wrote it because he had nothing better to do.

As Draco Malfoy sleepily dragged his feet away from the park, he let the latter part win the battle.

For now.

-

it won't always be this edgy, guys. lmao

the first official part should be up soon, let me know what you think?

- lacklusterlemonade