thirty nine

(continued)

After staying at the mall for several hours more than planned, they hauled all of their shopping bags back to the car. Draco insisted on spoiling Harry and buying all of the clothes he picked out, and although it took a while of persuading, he reluctantly gave in to Draco's wishes.

"I'm buying your dinner, though," Harry had proffered once the bags had been stuck safely in the trunk.

Draco pretended to consider it, "Mm no, I don't think I'll let you."

"It's the least I can do! You drove all the way over here last night, I made you get a matching jumper–"

"You didn't make me, I gave in because the look you gave me was too damn cute not to." Draco reassured as he backed out of the parking space and headed towards the main road. Luckily for them, the ice was beginning to melt.

Harry's face turned a pretty shade of pink for what felt like the thousandth time that day.

"And we've already been over the whole 'driving all the way over here' thing. I don't mind it one bit." Draco finished before reaching over and taking ahold of the hand in Harry's lap.

The still very pink boy tutted and started playing with Draco's fingers. "Okay, but I'm still sorry." Harry sighed playfully. "Where are we going now?"

"To dinner. It's a bit early, but I hope you're hungry. I got us reservations at Stovell's."

"Stovell's? When did you have time to do that?"

"While we were trying on things in the fitting rooms."

"But we aren't all dressed up. Isn't that place, you know, fancy?" Harry gestured to their hoodies.

Draco scoffed. "I look at it this way: you can show up to places wearing whatever you want, all they want is your money." Harry hummed and nodded as he thought about it. He hadn't thought of it that way, but it was true.

Twenty minutes later, they arrived at the restaurant and were able to get seated quickly. The interior of the place definitely matched the 16th century farmhouse look from the outside. Its furnishings were simple though antique, and it gave the place a homey atmosphere despite being so pricey. Thankfully it wasn't very busy yet, and their table happened to be a cozy little booth in the corner.

Harry was busy looking around at all of the decorations when he heard Draco tell the waiter, "We'll have a bottle of Chardonnay."

His eyebrows shot up, and Draco gave him what looked like a hint of a smirk in return.

They were handed menus and left to their own devices. Harry silently scanned the menu for the cheapest meal; he wasn't about to let Draco spend any more of his money on him.

Draco put his menu down after a while and waited. "What are you getting?" Harry questioned, growing frustrated that everything on the menu had to be so expensive.

"Cod," he stated simply, "can't decide?"

Harry gave a swift shake of his head. "I'll do it for you then. You like fish, don't you?"

"Mhm,"

"Then cod." Draco smiled softly at him, and Harry was about to protest about the price until the waiter came with their wine.

He noticed that Draco's bored mask slipped back into place when anyone else was around. It felt like Draco was most open with him, and it made something feel all bubbly deep down inside.

Draco told the waiter their orders and thanked him before pouring a glass for them both.

Harry took a sip and was shocked; it was better than any wine he'd tasted before.

His boyfriend laughed softly at his pleasant surprise and took a drink of his own.

Their food came shortly after, and it was gone almost as soon as it did. They had apparently underestimated how hungry they were after a day of shopping.

The bottle of wine got more and more empty as their meal went on and Draco, against his better judgement, ordered them another. This bottle didn't last nearly as long as the first one did.

Draco basically carried him out of the restaurant after the meal was paid for, and propped him up against his car. "I didn't know you were such a lightweight," Draco told him amusedly, who was three sheets to the wind himself even if he wouldn't admit it.

"I've only drank . . . once before," Harry slurred, holding up a finger to show him and staring at it very intently.

Draco looked at his finger too, before sticking up his own and watching it in deep thought. "I don't think I can drive us home." He said eventually with a giggle.

"Let's get an Uber,"

Draco pulled his phone out and requested a ride before meeting Harry's green gaze again. He thought the way the sunset met Harry's sweetly grinning and drunken face was a sight to behold. It seemed like that boy was constantly smiling.

Sure, there were seven wonders of the world—but here, standing in the middle of a parking lot on a freezing January evening—Draco was convinced the eighth was standing right in front of him.

i have plans for the next few chapters ehhehe

i like how i made that author's note book to keep from having so many author's notes but here i am