thirty eight

Early the same morning, they were in Draco's car dressed head to toe in their warmest winter clothing. Although it was almost February, Surrey's harsh temperatures ceased to let up any.

They had fallen asleep well past three in the morning, and were currently up braving the iced over streets at seven o'clock.

"Are you sure you've got this? Because we can turn around if you don't. Or, I can drive." Harry watched Draco nervously flick his eyes between his mirrors, surroundings, and the fresh layer of ice covering the street ahead.

"I've got it, Potter," he reassured.

Harry's surname, which was once used as a barrier between the pair ever getting close when they had first met, had transformed itself into a loving nickname when it came from Draco now.

There were no words to describe how giddy Harry felt when he used it.

"Relax," He reached over and gently fixed a soft blond lock that had fallen into his eyes. Draco's shoulders gave a barely perceptible slouch at this.

Harry let his gaze settle on him for a minute and he smiled. In this moment he wasn't trying to keep his feelings from meeting his facial expressions in any way—he was too focused on not crashing for that—and he thought the way his boyfriend's teeth gnawed on his bottom lip when focused was the cutest thing he'd ever seen.

He couldn't get enough of his cheekbones or the perfect slope of his nose, and on many occasions, he'd have to refrain from reaching out and absently tracing the features.

His eyes then settled on the familiar purple that had returned underneath Draco's eyes and felt guilty.

"I think we should go home and get some more sleep. It was a mistake to go out this early, I'm sorry—"

"Baby," Draco interjected with a gentle tone, "Please stop apologizing, you have no reason to."

"But you're tired, aren't you?" Harry was taken aback and blushing like mad from the use of this new, yet very welcomed pet name, but he still wanted the best for his boy.

Draco spared a quick glance at him before looking forward again, but he wouldn't give in. "I've gone multiple days running on less sleep than this back when I was in school. Believe me, I'm okay. I should be the one who's worried. Are you tired?"

Harry huffed. "If I am, I don't feel it. And you're kidding, two whole school days on less than four hours of sleep?"

Draco stifled a laugh as he felt Harry's bewildered expression practically piercing through him. "I liked to spend my nights out."

"Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about the bathroom stall incident. . ."

"You forgot how we met? Potter, how could you?" He feigned hurt and brought a hand up to his chest.

"I- You know what I mean!" Harry leaned against him playfully, which pushed Draco's arms along with him and sent the car sliding dangerously to the left.

Draco screamed all the while Harry was shouting frantic apologies. He carefully repositioned the car and they let out a sigh of relief.

"No touching the driver. Got it," Harry breathed out and they laughed nervously.

One long and stress inducing car ride later, the couple finally found themselves inside the mall.

"Where to first?" Draco grabbed Harry's hand and looked him up and down as he pondered.

Harry apparently decided, leading them into the closest clothing store. They browsed for a few moments before Harry's eyes landed on a rack filled with pastel pink shirts. He let out a small gasp and began looking for his size.

"What if," he pulled one out, "And hear me out," he pulled out another that looked like it would fit his boyfriend before bringing his idea to the table.

". . . What if we match?"

Draco silently blinked between both of the shirts and Harry's hopeful smile. How could he possibly turn him down?

"No."

"Aw, why not? Please?"

"Pink? You want me to wear pink, Potter?"

"It doesn't hurt to wear more than black, you know,"

"Actually, I'm wearing red today." Draco pulled his winter coat open some more to reveal the oversized hoodie hiding underneath.

"That's beside the point, Edgelord," Harry gave him a smile that showed he wasn't planning on backing down. "You wouldn't have to wear it anywhere, I just like the idea of us matching."

Draco rubbed a hand down his face in defeat before taking the shirt from Harry and double checking its size.

He let out a giggle that made Draco want to give in further, if it was even possible. Harry reached up on his tip toes and kissed a pale cheek.

"Thank you," he smiled against his face before backing away and letting Draco lead the way around the store this time.

a/n: i'm splitting this chapter into two because i have m o r e planned >:)