CHAPTER 5

Days passed with no significant value until Friday night, when I saw the Subaru drive out of the new Neighbor's garage at 5:30.

At 6 I heard an acorn hit my window with a bang and I turned to look at what Grace was saying.

She held up her notecard which wasn't a card at all but a long number. Beneath the number was a poorly drawn iPhone.

I grabbed my phone from my desk and typed in her number. I texted her immediately.

James: What's up?

I waited as she dropped her notecard and picked up her rose gold Iphone. The light from the screen lit up her face and I received the message.

Grace: Call me

I felt sweaty as I clicked the small call button and for the first time I heard her voice.

"Hey neighbor boy." She smiled at me from the window as she spoke.

"What's up." I said, trying to sound sexy and humorous.

"I'm home alone and I'm going to watch the office." She said. "Do you want to come over."

"Sure." I said, my mind rushing. This was a booty call, right?

"Great. Bring popcorn or something. I've got soda." She said into the phone. "This is a monumental moment for me. I was waiting for you." She said sarcastically. 

"Wow. I'm honored." I smiled at her from my house. "I'll be there in a few." I hung up and smiled to myself.  I was downstairs in an instant, searching the pantry for popcorn and candy. I grabbed two large bags of buttered popcorn and a Costco sized bag of Sour Patch Kids.

"Ahem." Katie got my attention from the couch where she was watching High School Musical... again. "Where are you going?"

"Next door." I said truthfully. 

"Okay, you can go, I'll zip my lips under two conditions." She bargained.

"What."

"One: You have to drive me somewhere next week. Wherever I want." She smiled. "And two: leave a bowl of sour patch kids on the counter for me."

"Deal." I poured her a bowl of the candy and headed out the door. I walked several feet down the street, the sky a dimming blue. 

I knocked on the door and it opened seconds later. As soon as the door opened it occurred to me that this was our first time actually meeting.

"Hey." I smiled.

"Come in." She led the way to the kitchen, there were still a few cardboard moving-boxes around but the house was mostly unpacked. "What'd you bring?" She asked pointing to the bags.

"Popcorn and Sour patch." I smiled. Seeing her in person was weird. She wasn't tall or short, but still a few inches shorter than me. She had on a T-shirt and sweats, her hair was down and straightened. She wore little makeup but still looked gorgeous. I wished I could tell her, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't necessary for a movie night.

"Nice! There's a pizza in the oven."

"wow. you really thought this out." I smiled. She started the TV, pulled up Netflix and then The Office. We began to watch the pilot. 

We sat a foot away from each other on the gray couch. Grace's house was freezing cold, and she immediately handed me a blanket after grabbing the pizza and two cokes. We sat with a plate of pizza and our sodas on the ottoman. She sat with her legs on the couch, curled up and comfortable.

Every few minutes she would laugh, I made sure to join in. It wasn't until the Diversity Training episode that she really started cracking up.

We watched two episodes before I realized what was going on. I was on a couch with my hot neighbor and she might be in to me. I had to make the first move, or any move. Several minutes into the third episode I turned to look at her.

"Are you cold?" I asked Grace trying to look concerned.

"A bit." She smiled. I took that as a opportunity and moved closer to her, bringing the blanket with me to share. She smiled at me, her eyes seemed inviting and I figured I was subtle enough that she didn't know what I was trying at. 

After several more minutes I took my hand and set it on her leg. She was wearing sweats but it still counted as physical contact. She looked up at me, surprised.

"Sorry." I muttered, about to move my hand when she put her hand on mine, holding it down.

"I don't mind." She whispered. I couldn't help but look at her strawberry colored lips. Did they taste like strawberries? 

I looked back at her eyes. She leaned in slowly, her eyes fluttering between closed and opened. Then it happened.

My lips were on hers and it felt like nothing I've felt before. I could feel her heart beating as I took my right hand and held her face, my fingers behind her ear. I pulled her closer to my body, her lips curved into a smile mid-kiss. I felt her skin and her hair, her lips. She smelled like cinnamon and her breath was minty and fresh. The kiss lasted a moment and when it was over I wished we had kept going. She looked at me with those green eyes I'd fallen for. She smiled at me and bit her lip. And I was right

Her lips tasted like strawberries