CHAPTER 38

It was 7 o'clock on Tuesday. The Tuesday Grace and I were preparing to sneak out. 

I sat at the dinner table with my family, eating my Mom's lasagna. My parents sat on one side of the table, chatting in low voices about work and some guy my Dad had to fire.

"So." Katie sighed. "How's your girlfriend, James?" My parents stopped talking and looked at me.

"She's good. We had fun last night." I sighed.

"Good" My Dad smiled. I nodded and finished my last bite. 

"I've got an essay to write, can I head upstairs?" I asked.

"Sure, hon. Put your plate in the dishwasher."

"Okay, Mom." I stood up and cleared my dish, and ran upstairs.

I had a duffle bag set out and several outfits folded neatly on my bed. My head was spinning with excitement as I double checked everything I had. I went on the computer to check a few finalizations on my last essay. I was getting bored with the whole thing, I wanted to write something exciting.

After a few hours getting sidetracked on my laptop, checking our hotel reservations, I heard my Mom yell upstairs.

"Goodnight James!" She called.

"Night Mom." I smiled to myself as I heard Katie turn her lights off.

That's when I started packing. I threw all my clothes into my duffle along with a toothbrush and the bathroom necessities. I packed a blanket and pillow and extra batteries and flashlights. 

Then I took a small backpack and packed a roadmap, my wallet with my debit card and all the chargers. I put my laptop in its case and put it in the large pocket. I put on a hoodie and sweat pants and I took my car keys and set them in the depths of my pocket.

Now I'd have to wait. I had everything packed and my the door, my stomach twisting. The clock read 12:49 am and I knew it was time. 

Getting out of the house wasn't nearly as exiting as I assumed. I avoided the creaky stair near the bottom and walked slowly to the front door, the duffle bag in my hand and the backpack on my shoulder. I opened the front door and shut it with ease. 

I ran to the driveway where my car was and unlocked it. I threw my duffle in the trunk and the backpack on the floor in the back. I turned the headlights off as I got behind the wheel to wait. Grace came out her back door several minutes later, carrying a stuffed duffle bag and a leather cross body bag. She jumped into the passenger seat, throwing her stuff in the back.

She kissed me and then buckled her seatbelt. I smiled, turned the car on and we were off.