CHAPTER 30

Grace and I were cuddled up on the couch watching Parks and Recreation when the front door opened and Katie came in.

"Hi Grace." Katie said. "What are you watching?"

"Parks and Rec." Grace said. Katie gave her a confused look. "It's an adult show."

"Oh... Can I watch a movie upstairs?"

"Sure, Kate." I said. "What do you want for dinner?"

"Mom said she left one of those frozen lasagnas in the fridge." Katie said. "We can just have that. Is Grace.... staying the night?"

"No." I quickly said. Grace smiled and looked up at me. "I mean, maybe. I don't know."

"Okay." Katie grinned and ran up the stairs, leaving  the living room empty.

"So." Grace looked at me. 

"Do you want to stay the night?" I asked her.

"Maybe at my house... because of your sister." 

"That'd be best." I grinned. We watched the show for a few more minutes. I cooked the lasagna for dinner and we all three ate at the table. Katie insisted on sitting next to Grace, so I sat alone on the opposite side of the table.

"Are you okay alone tonight, Kate?" I asked her. "We'll just be next door."

"I know and I'm fine." She smiled. "What are you guys going to do?"

My face went red and Grace looked down at her plate.

"Probably watch a movie." I shrugged.

"All night?"

"Several movies." Grace cut in. I smiled at her and we continued eating. I shoveled a forkful of hot pasta into my mouth and looked around the table. It was starting to get dark out, the sky was a dimming blue.

We headed over to Grace's house at 9. She unlocked the door and we went inside. I saw the couch where we had our first kiss.

I threw the hoodie I had brought on the counter along with my phone. 

"So." I smiled.

"So..." She sat down on the couch. "How's it going with the college planning and everything?"

"It's fine I guess." I shrugged, sitting next to her.

"You want to go to college then?" 

"I don't know. My parents want me to so that means I'm going. This is something you can't just walk away from."

"Technically you can back out..." 

"Grace, this is something I've been preparing for since I was a freshman. I can't back down."

"I know." She smiled. "It's just... soon you'll leave here, and I'll leave and we'll be apart again." She sighed and looked down at her feet. "I'm just going to miss you, neighbor boy."

"Then I think we should try and savor our time together, right?" I asked her.

"What do you mean by savor?" She raised an eyebrow. I only smiled and leaned in closer to her body. I put my hands on her neck and she ran her fingers through my hair as our lips collided. As I pulled away for a breath I saw her smile at me, her freckled face slightly pink and her green eyes staring into mine. She bit her lip gently, her fingers twirling a lock of hair near my neck. She was gorgeous, more than she even knew. The thought of her leaving broke my heart. I felt her cheek with my thumb and she laughed. I kissed her again, one of her hands on my chest. We only paused for breath, it was like our lips were glued together. She smiled slightly as she crawled on top of me. 

"Upstairs..." She whispered between breaths. I nodded and lifted her up. I felt her laugh as I nearly dropped her on the way up the stairs. We were in her room, kissing. I set her down and backed her up against a wall. She felt the rim of my shirt, pulling it off my shoulders. I kept kissing her, her hand on my bare chest. I stopped for a moment as she took off her shirt. I looked at her, I was madly in love. I kept kissing her, pressed up against the wall in her bedroom, half naked.  I was kissing her neck, My hands on the rim of her pants when I heard her scream.

"What?!" I yelled back. She was staring out the window in shock. I had almost forgot about Katie, and across the gap I could see my bedroom door swung open. "Grace, What is it?"

"Katie was in your room. She was grabbing something, I don't know!" Grace groaned, annoyed.

"Shit..." I muttered under my breath. "Put on a shirt, we need to talk to her."

"But-" Grace sighed, her hand still on my chest. "Okay." She picked up a shirt from her closet and threw it over her bra. I found my shirt from the floor and we started to walk down the stairs of Grace's house.