CHAPTER 8

When I woke up on Monday I saw my Dad's car in the driveway and knew my parents were home from their trip. I slowly got out of my bed, heading downstairs to meet them. They were in the living room, their suitcases by the front door.

"Good morning." I smiled, hugging both of them.

"How was it? Any problems?" My Mom asked.

"Nope. Katie was good." I explained.

"And who else came over? Any friends?" My Dad asked.

"Nah. Me and Katie just hung out." I said, which was technically the truth, no friends came over.

"Anything exciting?" 

"Nope." I said. "What about you, how was New York?"

"Great. Me and your Dad ate at this amazing restaurant in Times square. I had Lobster Mac & Cheese..." I listened to my Mom trail off about the trip. Some stuff about her boss and food and people, and that one taxi driver.

I would eventually have to tell them about Grace. If things got serious, I would. 

"MOMMY!" Katie ran downstairs, hugging my parents. "How was New York?"

"Good, how was your time with James?" My Dad asked her.

"It was boring to be honest. He's not that exciting, he never even leaves the house." She looked at me as she talked. My parents laughed and she winked at me. Maybe she could keep quiet...

An hour later, my parents were unpacking and I pulled Katie into a corner of the kitchen. 

"Thanks." I smiled. "I'll give you more than one ride, anywhere you want." I said. 

"Deal, I won't spill." She smiled. "But James, you kissed our neighbor, you have to tell them eventually."

"I will." I said. "Things might not even keep going, it might've been a one time thing." 

"Okay." She said. "You owe me." She high-fived me and waked away. She was a smart eight year old, I'd have to admit.